Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Careers Guidance

Options
  • 16-02-2011 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

Hi Everyone!

I am just wondering have anyone here tried UCC Careers guidance? are they good?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I did and I wouldn't recommend them but I'd still say call down to them. Its free and at worst it'll tell you want not to do with your CV !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

I did and I wouldn't recommend them but I'd still say call down to them. Its free and at worst it'll tell you want not to do with your CV !

Sounds like PhatPhiggins needs English language guidance more than career guidance.

I hate the way people assume that career guidance counsellors should have an almost psychic awareness of what career is suitable for a particular individual.

Life isn't like that. And people can have many careers during their life - we don't all have some magical calling.

UCC careers service are helpful, professional, and will provide you with information to help you make a decision. They don't have a magic bullet that tells people what career is best for them (and nor should they have).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

In fairness you should really have some indication of what you want to do with your life and the people there should know by your course what options are more easily available to you.

They will go throuh your CV too and pick out things to improve and rephrase sentences, this can be quite helpful. its a free service and whether its crap or not it is worth heading down to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Shatner wrote: »
    Sounds like PhatPhiggins needs English language guidance more than career guidance.

I hate the way people assume that career guidance counsellors should have an almost psychic awareness of what career is suitable for a particular individual.

Life isn't like that. And people can have many careers during their life - we don't all have some magical calling.

UCC careers service are helpful, professional, and will provide you with information to help you make a decision. They don't have a magic bullet that tells people what career is best for them (and nor should they have).

Public sector worker? In UCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

^This... Not overly knowledgeable with regard to my chosen sector, Might depend on what your course is as to how much help they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Hello - I emailed them and they will get back to me.

I have 3 areas that I like to do but these three are so different to each other. I could use their help to find out more information and options. I also have questions on pac.ie ...like if I changed my mind - can I change online etc...any advice keep on coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Cillerz

I went down today. I was at the Career Bootcamp during the week and was really impressed by Mary Coughlan :)
    Met with her today and she went through my C.V. and looked at my cover letters too. I also showed some internships and stuff I was interested in.

She was really really helpful don't know why people were giving out!? And it's free too :P

Have a meeting with her again tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

I suppose it depends who you get on the day, but I found the woman I went to very vague and unhelpful. I had specific questions, ones about pac as well to be honest, she could only tell me the same stuff Id found on the website itself couldnt go into any detail beyond it. While I accept that they cant know everything about every course, I think itd be better if you booked your appointment further in advance so theyd have time to prepare for you and at least be up to date on the options for the area you're in i.e law or business or whatever.

Advertisement