Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest way to get on the road for the first time.

Options
  • 16-02-2011 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Right boys, I need to get myself driving as soon as possible anyone know the cheapest way and/or average cost?

I'm 18 with a provisional and need some way to get to college(Bus Eireann could rob ya blind). I'll be very happy with anything that moves! even a Seicento!
    Also could consider getting a bike if price difference is worth losing passenger capability and a dry interior (irish weather = not so good for riders)

Any idea on car prices - insurence?
    And what would the difference be if i went and got my full licence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

andywozere wrote: »
    Right boys, I need to get myself driving as soon as possible anyone know the cheapest way and/or average cost?

I'm 18 with a provisional and need some way to get to college(Bus Eireann could rob ya blind). I'll be very happy with anything that moves! even a Seicento!
    Also could consider getting a bike if price difference is worth losing passenger capability and a dry interior (irish weather = not so good for riders)

Any idea on car prices - insurence?
    How long is a piece of string?
    How much money can you afford is more along the lines of what you should be asking yourself. Then work towards that budget.
    Get a full licence too.
    Have you even looked at car websites yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm 18 with a provisional and need some way to get to college(Bus Eireann could rob ya blind).

How far away is college? Could you cycle / get a lift? If you think the bus is expensive, multiply it by about 10 and that's what your car is gonna cost you if you're lucky ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 andywozere

Money wise im looking about 3k
    I've been on carzone, donedeal, gumtree. I kinda have an idea on car prices,
    Bikes, i know nothign about so i havent even bothered to search fro what would be the "ideal" bike.

I guess im more interested in insurence prices as the information needed to get a single quote is quite long and detailed.

Also i'd like to know what people payed for the thier car and insurence?

unkel wrote: »
    How far away is college? Could you cycle / get a lift? If you think the bus is expensive, multiply it by about 10 and that's what your car is gonna cost you if you're lucky ;)

bus is costing me about 16 quid a day bu more importantly 4 hours of my day.
    the bus is just slowing me down from affording a decent car so i think i might as well get the cheapest of the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Money wise im looking about 3k

Is that just for the car or including tax and insurance?

• Advertisement

Is that just for the car or including tax and insurance?

All 3 if thats possible :) to save me te trouble of a loan, i hear insurence is generally more than the car which is why a Bike might be a good option, nothign over a 125cc just something to nip me up to college and back, would anyone know insurence prices for that?

I had a look at a Suzuki Marauder, they're supposed to be easy on insurence cos of the low power bu i couldnt find anyone sharing thier quote

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

realistically youll be payign 2k in insurance so lets say 1000 euro if the car has tax, 600 without is a fair budget ,

something like this : http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1873342 call and find out if it has tax , id say not but talk the seller down

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The difference would be that you could drive to college and back without needing a fully licensed accompanying driver with you at all times :)

Also, for first years insurance it would knock a huge amount off.

realistically youll be payign 2k in insurance so lets say 1000 euro if the car has tax, 600 without is a fair budget ,

something like this : http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1873342 call and find out if it has tax , id say not but talk the seller down

Not a bad car, is 2k insurence for my own or named driver? dad has a couple penaltys points would that effect it much?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The difference in insurance between a 1.0 and 1.3 litre engine would surprise you, especially for an 18 year old on a learner permit. I would be much more inclined to go with a Yaris like this. Tax will be much cheaper and you should save a few hundred on insurance alone, you're also getting a (relatively) newer car. Good alternatives would be a VW Polo or a Nissan Micra. Perfect cars for someone learning to drive and if you make sh!t of it, you won't have spent too much anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

All 3 if thats possible :) to save me te trouble of a loan, i hear insurence is generally more than the car which is why a Bike might be a good option, nothign over a 125cc just something to nip me up to college and back, would anyone know insurence prices for that?

I had a look at a Suzuki Marauder, they're supposed to be easy on insurence cos of the low power bu i couldnt find anyone sharing thier quote

You would have to do IBT before getting on a bike.
    That costs about €500 to €800.
    Gear for the bike - €500 to €1 000, depending on what you go for.
    Insurance - anything from €800 to €5 000, or more.
    You could pick up a bike for about €1 000.

Fun factor - priceless. :D

P.C. wrote: »
    You would have to do IBT before getting on a bike.
    That costs about €500 to €800.
    Gear for the bike - €500 to €1 000, depending on what you go for.
    Insurance - anything from €800 to €5 000, or more.
    You could pick up a bike for about €1 000.

Fun factor - priceless. :D
    wow and i always thought bikes were the cheaper option!

i do like the polos :P yaris arn't bad runners not liking the fact that one's nct is up just after summer bu ill defo look into them cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Why don't you get insured as a named driver on one of your parents' cars for a year in order to build up experience and funds? It would better equip you to pass the test for your full licence too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

some motorbikes are in a low insurance category so the insurance may be reasonable, it depends on the bike though, even 125`s can vary wildly, a few years ago i was quoted £6,800 on a 125cc aprillia,

your best bet is to ring every insurance company in the phonebook and get quotes,

edit: i mean get quotes for a car because they have a roof and stereo and room for passengers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Here you go.
    Grand little first car
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1885113

Full?id=5257778

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

One difference is that if you had a full license it would be legal to drive unaccompanied.

My mate drives an ibiza said hes never had any problems with it cheers!

Full licence would proberly be the way to go...

I live kinda rural and the guards dont mind us driving unaccompanied, i was driving my mates car uninsured and i just said i was bringing it back from the pub for him. Rural guards = awesome! bu doubt i would hav much luck in Dublin :P

As for getting insured as a named driver well...mam crashed a few years ago and is still paying for it and dad license is nearly gone from speeding points lol so i dont think insurence companys would like adding me to thier policys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

MotorizedSkateboard2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

My mate drives an ibiza said hes never had any problems with it cheers!

Full licence would proberly be the way to go...

I live kinda rural and the guards dont mind us driving unaccompanied, i was driving my mates car uninsured and i just said i was bringing it back from the pub for him. Rural guards = awesome! bu doubt i would hav much luck in Dublin :P

As for getting insured as a named driver well...mam crashed a few years ago and is still paying for it and dad license is nearly gone from speeding points lol so i dont think insurence companys would like adding me to thier policys

How rural are you living, the 1970's???

Get your full licence, stop driving cars you're not insured in and good luck with your new car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I just ran a quote for you on nononsense. 18, full hypothetical license, 1L car, value E950. It came to E2400 I think! The only feasible way I see of doing it is by being a named driver on parents policy, but even this way you arent building up a ncb. the price came down quite a bit if I put in your were 19 and had 1 year ncb...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The only feasible way I see of doing it is by being a named driver on parents policy

Not useful if both parents already have a car they use themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

If you only got your permit recently did you to the test for motorcycles?

Didn't they bring in changes back in December, that if you wanted to drive bikes, you had to get a separate licence for them?

So if you got it say this month, you wouldn't be covered to drive a bike. You would need to sit a theory test for that category and then apply for permit and sit mandatory initial basic training (IBT )

Advertisement