Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot keys for Compaq Presario CQ56

Options
  • 16-02-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all

i have recently bought a Compaq Presario CQ56.
    the one with the "hot keys" along the side.

I have uninstalled the dvd programe that comes with the laptop, and now the dvd hot key will not do any thing. ( i tought that it would go to the new defalt player)

I have installed a new player
    have messed around with the Defalts to no avail.
    and puting the sortcut key in the properites menu, but it wont accept it.

It dosent really bother me as i dont use the dvd that often to have a hot key, but it would might like to put i tunes or something on it .

Any help put there

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

go to control panel-clock language region -change keyboard-advanced settings-see if the hot keys are listed,if they are you change what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EWJim

I am using windows 7 dont see that there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Just in case you mean you can`t see the control panel part,otherwise please ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The most likely location for the control of the hot keys is the keyboard driver. As this is a proprietary driver the chances of reprogramming the keys are negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EWJim

thanks mp

there dose not seen to be any thing on the keyboard settings

I have changed my browser and the button on the keyboard for that seems to change

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jujitsukillu

Dear OP:
    I too have this laptop- here is a quick fix.
    (It may cause issues! [not dangerous] read below)

go to the directory where the keys are going
    (Example: top key = C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe)

You can simply rename wlmail.exe to wlmail2.exe and put an .exe of your choice. Now here is one conflict with this.. If your preferred shortcut is not an .exe extension then you should find your own means of creating maybe a simple vb6 .exe to do what you want. Or maybe use a .bat to .exe converter. To the higher end of the computer literate people you should know what I mean.

I do not expect the OP to fully understand this entire reply of mine.. But for any wondering Googler this should help :)

Now as I said this COULD cause issues. How? Let's say you try to go to programs->Windows live mail .. it is very probable it won't work from that shorcut. Why? Because you renamed the .exe (you could rig this by just going into properties into the shortcut and changing it to the new file name) .. and after all this you could get .dll errors so just toy around and/or deal with another method.
    [If you uninstall the program then ignore all above text.]

Now I did a quick search in the registry and could not find the settings for the keyboard. (It would make all this so much simpler). But meh, this method will work.

If anyone finds the registry key for this then post it! As I would rather not use my quick fix method for the calc.exe :)

Advertisement