Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone MIFI r201

Options
  • 16-02-2011 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

got one of these last week 59 euro with 20 included topup..online and 69 instore. thought great bargain.. even better though.. is they aren't locked.. and take any sim.. tried o2, meteor, and three so far..

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Icdb wrote: »
    got one of these last week 59 euro with 20 included topup..online and 69 instore. thought great bargain.. even better though.. is they aren't locked.. and take any sim.. tried o2, meteor, and three so far..

I can't find it online, do you have a link? I can see their MiFi offer, but it doesn't say the model number....

Is this it? http://www.vodafone.ie/df/mobilebroadband/devices/devices_detail.jsp

Doesn't say anything about free credit on this if it is.....

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/mobilebroadband/devices/devices_detail.jsp

it's this one.. sorry I got mine instore for 69 and guessed that the 59 online one included the 20 euro credit.. the web is usually 10 euro less than the instore deals ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Quick question if you don't mind..

If you connect it to PC via USB does it show up as a modem (like a dongle would?)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

yup

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fermeen

Thanks for that. Wouldn't have thought it would be unlocked.

The link is down at the moment. Must have got hit hard..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Presumably if you already have a dongle something like this would be a cheaper option and probably have stronger wifi to share around the house? Anyone have one and can comment?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Cheapest option is if you have smart phone that can run jokuspot :-)

- That said this is a really good deal if its unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fermeen

one of the advantages of the mifi is that it is battery powered so great for the train, bus or out and about.
    For strictly home use a mains powered device would probably make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,069 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Cheapest option is if you have smart phone that can run jokuspot :-)

- That said this is a really good deal if its unlocked

one thing I've found is battery life really takes a hit when you do teathering from phone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Picked one up today for €69 in store. Definitely unlocked, I had it working away on a 3 SIM. Absolutely great BA, OP, thanks.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

For anyone who has one I had problems with the wpa2-psk and had to revert to wpa-psk which is fine as I'm in the styx. There is a firmware update available but its only on the uk business site and the link doesn't work you need to search for it.

http://www.business.vodafone.com/util/SearchCMS.do?sortBy=relavance&criteria=r201+firmware

Just downloaded it would appear to be an an older version than what I have already.

paddyp wrote: »
    For anyone who has one I had problems with the wpa2-psk and had to revert to wpa-psk which is fine as I'm in the styx. There is a firmware update available but its only on the uk business site and the link doesn't work you need to search for it.

http://www.business.vodafone.com/util/SearchCMS.do?sortBy=relavance&criteria=r201+firmware

Just downloaded it would appear to be an an older version than what I have already.

Fair play, Paddy, I thought it was just me having problems.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 24 marksetgo

just wondering has anybody tried to connect a ps3 to one of these devices if so how did it run or is it even possible??? cheers.

Advertisement