Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exaggeration, lies, empty promises: Dara Calleary's election Material

Options
  • 16-02-2011 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

For some time I have been sure that I would not vote FF and especially Dara Calleary, as I have never liked people who can not think for themselves. However I do try to be fair to everybody so today I read through his half page advert in the Western People, Dara is running with the Slogan below and the short statement:

"LOCAL DELIVERY - NATIONAL IMPACT"
    In almost four years as your T.D. I have successfully delivered over €100 Million in investment to communities across Mayo.
    HELP ME TO CONTINUE TO MAKE AN IMPACT FOR MAYO

He goes on to list his achievements, granted he may have had some influence on some of them but there is a lot of waffle, exaggeration and outright lies.

Calleary literature
    He claims to have delivered €61 million for the Charlestown bypass, This road took over 18 months to construct, yet Mr Calleary delivered it a mere 5 months after he was elected in May 2007. That money was approved in 2004 - therefore nothing to do with Dara Calleary as TD

He claims responsibilities for several school extentions and refurbishments, all of which were approved by the department of Education before Dara Calleary was elected, some were under construction and paid for long before his election. O'Keeffe Opens Eight Mayo School Extension

He claims to have secured IDA investment for 250 new jobs in Ballina, these jobs were delivered by the staff at Holister in Ballina, because the proved to be the best at what they do within the Holister Organisation globally. Then and only then the IDA was contacted to see if they would provide assistance, it would have gone ahead regardless. Mr Bean just jumped on the bandwagon

He claims credit for the roll-out of broadband in several areas where the service is so poor they may as well not have it.

Most of what he claims credit for delivering was approved before he came to power or has yet to be delivered.

This sort of personal marketing is immoral and people should see it for what it is, I hope that people like this do not become part of the next government, otherwise we will never get out of this mess, we need people who will really deliver to the country as a whole. We need a system that works, not a broken system that politicians will play around the edges with. We need to give new people a chance.

I have also emailed this to Dara Calleary, his response if any will also be posted here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

The annoying thing about this type of waffle is that stupid people will believe every word he says and vote for him :mad:

"Look at how great he is for Mayo"
    "He brought us the road"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

mayotom wrote: »
    This sort of personal marketing is immoral and people should see it for what it is, I hope that people like this do not become part of the next government, otherwise we will never get out of this mess, we need people who will really deliver to the country as a whole. We need a system that works, not a broken system that politicians will play around the edges with. We need to give new people a chance.

To me FF personify all that is rotten in politics in this country. I see them as corrupt spoofers. I can't believe anything they say at all. The truth seems to mean nothing to them. They are so used to lying, spinning and blustering they the fail to see that people have found them out now.

Just getting them away from power in a few weeks time will be a new beginning in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Good spot Mayotom. Put it in a letter and send it to the editors of your local newspapers. Send it to the national ones as well while your at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Below is the email I have sent to the party leaders, the Mayo candidates, the advertising standards authority and the Media

Hi All,

As you would imagine the people of Mayo and the rest of the country are very concerned about the way that his country has gone in recent years, we have seen nothing but lies and misrepresentation from the outgoing government, without any recourse. We have government bodies and watchdogs who ensure that the people and businesses in Ireland act in an ethical and just manner, Lies and misrepresentation are simply not tolerated in the real world and must stop, FF used the excuse "we did what we could with the information we had at the time, which was the best information", which was totally wrong when the dogs on the streets knew better.

What I really find appalling is that current Junior Minister/candidate can publish lies and exaggeration in local media in an attempt to gain votes, and no watchdog or any semblance of an election commission has stopped this blatant lies been printed. I think people like this should not be allowed to stand in an election, that the Advertising Standards authority Should investigate this and produce a finding before the election.

As you can all see, I have sent this to Directly to Dara Calleary (I initially emailed him about it 24 hours ago, with no reply) and I have cc'd all the candidates in Mayo who I could find email addresses for, along with the leaders of the main parties. The link at the top of the page is to a discussion on the Politics.ie website where the public have been giving their opinion, it is also been discussed on Boards.ie here and here. A copy of this email will also be sent to the local and national Print and radio media. I will also send a similar statement to the Advertising Standards Authority re false advertising.

Why do I go to this trouble? because I'm angry and the people of Ireland are angry that these people have not learned.

What do I want? I ask that Dara Calleary withdraw from this election immediately, if not let it be known in the media why you think that the people of Mayo should trust you and elect you, while you lie to them so spectacularly

I also ask that the other politicians make the same request especially Micheal Martin(can somebody please forward this to him, his email address does not appear in the public domain), I also ask that any other candidate in any party who can't back up their claims with real evidence also step down from this election and allow people who are honest to become the next generation of politicians that this country so badly needs.

Once again here is the offending litterature

• Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what annoys me is that all politicians attend the opening of something and then claim they provided it (esp if they are in power), looks to me that Calleary has looked through the entire gov. spending in the constituency and personally claimed every project because he's part of the gov.

i suppose technically hes not wrong but dishonest imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Fair play to you mayotom. Thats a great email above. If more people did the same we would be onto something.

The sad fact is that the masses tolerate this nonsense. I really hope one of the papers prints your letter or does a piece on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

mayotom wrote: »
    I have also emailed this to Dara Calleary, his response if any will also be posted here

Good on ya Tom!

I look forward to reading a reply if you get one.

Looking at the Boards Poll, he wont get his seat, but sadly in reality, I think he will walk in on election day.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

DALY SLATES CALLEARY’S RECORD : but will the voters listen??
    It was with shock and disappointment that Martin Daly noticed the failure of some of the local media to challenge Dara Calleary over his gross exaggerations and distortions. 'If Dara wants to claim credit for the work of others and keep a straight face, well, he is a man to feel sorry for rather than condemn since his moral compass seems askew'.

'I can understand though, why he has to resort to desperate measures because he knows in his heart that the real delivery for the people of Mayo, North, South, East and West has been despair and misery. Dara is first and foremost a FF politician and what FF has given us is pay reductions, benefit cuts, tax increases, job losses, front line service cutbacks, carers benefit cut, and emigration. Why, because of the FF induced Asset Bubble, cronyism and a servile attitude to the bondholders, the E.U. and the IMF. That is what F.F. and Dara has delivered'.

Can Martin Daly make enough noise on this before the election to impact on Calleary's vote

Advertisement