Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you combine wireless and wired alarm system

Options
  • 16-02-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

i have a hkc alarm system and all was fine until i got a window replaced.I put the sensor back on but it says open zone. I bought a new sensor and connected it back up the same way but still open zone. So i connected the 2 reds together and 2 blacks together and 2 yellows together and 2 blues together so the contact is by passed, but still says open zone. Its the whole down stairs of the house. Can i change this zone to wireless and keep the upstairs as hard wired? What would i need to do this or would i have to go totally wireless

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can..Europlex Signet and HKC Secure wave would be the hybrid systems.
    I would not give up on the wiring so easily. Try closing off red to black on each pair and work back towards the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

i have a hkc alarm system and all was fine until i got a window replaced.I put the sensor back on but it says open zone. I bought a new sensor and connected it back up the same way but still open zone. So i connected the 2 reds together and 2 blacks together and 2 yellows together and 2 blues together so the contact is by passed, but still says open zone. Its the whole down stairs of the house. Can i change this zone to wireless and keep the upstairs as hard wired? What would i need to do this or would i have to go totally wireless

Thanks

Replacing the panel with a hybrid system is a solution but then your looking at buying wire free devices also. If you can identify which part of the cable is damaged then running a cable between these two points to complete the circuit will work out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

the window is all plastered up and finished and dont want to go wrecking the place. Also there is no access from above as wooden floors upstairs so cant get a new cable between the window and the next one or previous one...Any other suggestions....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

How many windows & devices on this loop?
    Have you discovered a point to where the cable is good?

the window is all plastered up and finished and dont want to go wrecking the place. Also there is no access from above as wooden floors upstairs so cant get a new cable between the window and the next one or previous one...Any other suggestions....

If that is the case you have only an option of installing a hybrid system. If you can close off the loop at the previous window put a wire free sensor on the window with the broken cable then put a wire free sensor on the next window also, you can wire the rest of the loop into the second wire free sensor.

• Advertisement

no i have not identified the previous point but i should do as this will allow me to at least set the alarm when i end the loop there. whats a hybird system? What do i need to use it?

A Hybrid system is one that combines wired & wireless.
    You would need to be updating tha panel & Keypad .
    You would also need to purchase any wireless devices you need.
    Find the last good point and close off the zone & tamper pair there.
    Then fine the end of line & work you way back checking both pairs .
    My guess is you will come to the window beside the good wire feeding from the panel.
    When you eliminate whats good you are basically left with the 2 ends of the damaged cable?
    Use a meter to check between all strands to see if anything is uesable?
    Twist all pairs & check for continuity.
    If you find a closed pair it will need to have a vey low resistence reading to be good. No more than a few ohms. Seperate after that to see if the pair fully opens.
    If not you use wired to where is good. Place a wired device on the next window & wire in the good cable to the end of line into the wireless device.

no i have not identified the previous point but i should do as this will allow me to at least set the alarm when i end the loop there. whats a hybird system? What do i need to use it?

Yes, at lease you will have some sort of perimeter protection with this loop closed. A hybrib panel has the ability to take wired and wire free devices. I would recommend using the HKC Securewave panel. It will give you 10 wired zones plus you can add two way wire free devices on to it. It will make an easy swap for the panel you have.

ok will try that before i shell out for a new control panel and keypad and devices, thanx for the help...

ok will try that before i shell out for a new control panel and keypad and devices, thanx for the help...

Your welcome, any problems let us know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement