Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading White MacBook

Options
  • 16-02-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a macbook which I got in November 2006, it is an 1.83Ghz Intel with 1 Gb RAM.

About a year ago I upgraded to Snow Leopard and it made a good improvement to performance, I also took the opportunity to get rid of lots of rubbish.

But space is running low with photos and music.

Can anyone offer advice on Hard Drive upgrades, who is the best supplier? I am thinking of a 250Gb 5400rpm drive to get a good balance of space, speed and battery life.

Last night I ordered 2x1Gb RAM chips from crucial, so I am happy that the system performance will be fine.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Following on form this, I forgot to ask,

I am planning on creating a bootable copy of the existing hard drive using SuperDuper!

I have a 64GB usb pen drive. Does anyone know if I can boot from this using the Option Key on boot up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Providing it has enough space and is formatted so the mac can see and use it - yes you can install and boot from it.

Have you looked into SSD, much more expensive but it would dramatically speed up that laptop providing it could handle an SSD, like if it has proper connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks for the reply Conor.

It is a 64GB key and the current HDD is 60Gb, so that wouldn't be a problem.

I did look at SSD's, but they are very expensive and I would like to keep this in around the €50 mark.

Advertisement