Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei B260a

Options
  • 16-02-2011 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi
    Have just upgraded to a Huawei B260 from dongle on the 3 network, a big improvement on speed as it is located where the signal is best at all times. The issue is it is now an open network as my Toshiba Satellite (an old model on XP) will not allow the security key on wireless, will work with the cable. My phone will connect on wi-fi after the security key is entered. what can i do with the laptop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

murraypjm wrote: »
    Hi
    Have just upgraded to a Huawei B260 from dongle on the 3 network, a big improvement on speed as it is located where the signal is best at all times. The issue is it is now an open network as my Toshiba Satellite (an old model on XP) will not allow the security key on wireless, will work with the cable. My phone will connect on wi-fi after the security key is entered. what can i do with the laptop.

Hi there,
    I have much the same problem myself. In order to get to the management page, I had to drop my firewall for a few seconds. Once I reactivated my firewall, I was still able to access this management page.
    To access the management page then type, http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar on your browser.
    Then select Admin, the default password is admin...Would be a good idea to change this.

Now at this point I ran up against a brick wall.
    I would like to have my Wifi encrypted, most normal routers have a WEP key of numbers and letters.
    The Huawei B260a seems to have a bewildering array of encryption choices, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK???? At this point, my poor brain went into crebral meltdown, when the instructions started going on about 64 character hexadecimal value :eek:
    So unless I sort out some sort of wifi encryption soon, I will have every kid in the neighbourhood piggybacking on my feckin wifi:eek:

You can never find a computer geek, when you need one:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

dont bother with WEP. its about 1 step above having no security at all.

WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK are better.

PSK = preshare key: either have the router generate one and copy that to your local machine or you can enter a passphrase, the longer the better and the more complex the better... but dont go overboard in case you need to add another device to the network.

one suggestion would be: pick a book (your favourite one), go to page number XX where 19XX is year of birth, select line number YY where YY = day of birth and then use the next sentence that starts. prepend or append with ZZ where ZZ = month of birth.

possibly too complex though for everyday use but handy and recoverable if you know what to look for (you have to make sure you keep the same print of the book, line/page numbers may vary between prints but then again, anyone trying to guess your password would have to have the exact same book as well. Lord of the rings for example has had many many reprints and reformats over the years - and you could possible use your full eyar of birth as the page number :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 francescog61

Hi
    hi
    do you have a link to downoad a new firmware to upgrade b260?thx
    francesco

• Registered Users Posts: 36 murraypjm

Hi Franchesco

Thanks for the reply, no firmware link or could i find one

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

You need to upgrade the driver on your wireless card on the toshiba laptop for it to connect to wpa networks.

I'm guessing the driver is from 2004.

• Advertisement

thanks, will i get the update on toshiba website,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 murphy10101

well, at the moment i have my fone acting as my wifi router and it need to be beside the window to pick up a signal. even with the fone from time to time, it changes from a "H" signal of 2-4 mb to a "3G" signal which is no good and can have no connection at another time!... ya so i was thinking that if i put an Aerial on the roof beside the uhf aerial connected to a router ( probably the hauwei b260a router from three)! wondered would this stop the signal loss from time to time! any ideas if this will work or the products to use?!

this is a wonderful router, i get speeds of over 6mg regularly.no need for an external aeriel but there is a port on the router for one

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Timfy

Hi,

I have found in the past that taking XP up to SP3 will do the trick... wireless security and quality of connection is one of the things addressed in this service pack.
    Hi

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Advertisement