Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My beautiful Granny

Options
  • 16-02-2011 2:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

My gran died on Friday after 6 weeks illness and I looked after all the details of the wake etc to allow my family to concentrate on funeral arrangements and their own grief.
    I have been fine since it happened, laughing and happy as I always am until a couple of hours ago when my friend told me he was moving an hour up the road and I haven't stopped crying since!
    I'll see him regularly as he works here so I know it's not really about him but it was a catylast for the grief to come through.
    I don't know how to deal with this sudden sadness it's like a brick in my stomach all of sudden and I'd love any advice on how to get through it. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

Calibelle - the only advice I was ever given that made any sense was this: be gentle on yourself, be patient with yourself, and take life in tiny, baby steps until you're ready. Don't push yourself too hard, or feel bad because you aren't ''getting over'' it, or don't appear to be grieving the ''right'' way. You've had an awful shock, and a long, stressful few weeks. Be kind to yourself - there is no set-in-stone method or time frame for grief, and you will at times feel like you are taking two steps forward and three steps backward. It's all normal, it's all a part of it.
    Seek out those who will listen; not those who can't be around you. All of those people who said ''if there's anything I can do'' - take them up on their offer. Ask for help, wherever you need it, whether it be help with the house, a night out (it's good to let the hair down) or whatever, ask for it directly. People (for the most part) will be only too happy to help.
    As for your friend moving away - it's only natural that hearing the news will upset you. You've lost a close loved one, now you feel you are ''losing'' him, too. Make firm, definite plans to keep in touch - set aside a night a week to go out together, or to visit each other, and phone/text regularly. He is, after all, someone who is a support to you.

I'm sorry you lost your gran. You did her and your family proud x

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭missgroovy21

your a very brave person..... people grieve in different ways!!!! these things just take time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

my own granny died last thursday, she was like a second mother to me over the years im going to miss her terrrible as will everyone who knew her the funeral was huge, a testiment to the people she touched. she lived a long life she was 97 last sun. just thought id stick it up there to get it off my chest..

Advertisement