Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacuum Engine

Options
  • 16-02-2011 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi I just taught I would post a video of a vacuum engine i built.

The working principle is similar to the hot air engine, except that this engine draws hot air into the cylinder.The hot flame is drawn into the cylinder, at BDC the inlet valve shuts the heat then cools down this in turn creates a vacuum, this vacuum plus air pressure then forces the piston back up the bore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn3WnQPFB0Y&hd=1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Very interesting, the first vacuum engine was invented by Newcomen back in the 1700's. He used steam to fill the cylinder and then condensed it with a water spray.
    220px-Newcomen6325.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Flame eater

Thanks Steamengine.
    Looks like these principles have been around for a long long time over 300 years .

Dose anybody know if there are any threads dedicated to just stationary model engines? Stirling Vacuum Steam etc.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Thanks Steamengine.
    Looks like these principles have been around for a long long time over 300 years .

Dose anybody know if there are any threads dedicated to just stationary model engines? Stirling Vacuum Steam etc.......

The vacuum principle is around for a long time ok, but your engine with its system of drawing in hot air and its subsequent cooling to create a partial vacuum is very interesting and news to me. It seems to runs at a respectable speed also, judging by the video. This is the only thread on stationary model engines I am aware of ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Flame eater

Thanks
    I clocked the rpm at 976 max just shy of the 1000

Advertisement