Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's Yoga, not an aerobics class!

Options
  • 16-02-2011 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭

So maybe I've been spoiled up to now, but I expect a level of 'roundedness' (for want of a better term) from a yoga instructor. In other words, I want the whole package - meditation, breathing, asanas, scriptures, etc. not just a workout! That's not too much to ask, is it? I want to come out of the room feeling refreshed, invigorated, relaxed and centered (with a good stretch to boot :p)

My previous instructors had it all, but they both left the country (was it something I said?) to pursue their learnings. Now I'm feeling around for a replacement, but the couple I've been to so far felt like an aerobic class rather than a yoga session. They seem to be going through the moves but the rest isn't even considered.
    The most recent one I was with didn't even mention the breath or breathing through the entire class, and didn't correct or assist anyone in the poses (she was just going through the poses at the top of the room). And worryingly, there were a number of newbies there too! All the poses were held for about 3 seconds (not even 1 breath cycle for me) and the whole thing just felt like an exercise class. Not what I'm looking for...:(

So how does anyone else feel about this? Am I being too picky or unfair to the instructors?
    But isn't yoga supposed to be a holistic thing, rather than just an exercise routine?
    Is it just me?:confused:

...and if anyone can mention a 'good' yoga instructor in South County Dublin I'd be forever greatful :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Yoga is even much more than a holistic thing.

It is a body of knowledge which has grown out of man's inquiry into higher consciousness and his quest to evolve from a more animalistic type of human, to one which is more divine. enlightened, in tune with the whole Universe part of 'the whole' and conscious of it.

It is over 5,000 years old and meditation has always been the cornerstone of all the other practices which are there to support the transformation.

But during the past 100 years as Westerners discovered these practices in India, and as the westerners have been obsessed with how the look, fitness 'feel good', they focused on aspects of yoga which support these goals, and ignored the gems of the practice.

It has now got to the stage that many 'yoga teachers' in the west do not even practice meditation on a daily basis..... and some do not practice it at all.

I personally think it is very sad, as many newcomers to these yoga classes 'think' that yoga is mainly physical postures and many put hours and hours into practicing what these 'teachers' are passing off as yoga.... and these newcomers think 'they are practicing yoga'.

It is a crying shame.

If you are still looking for good genuine yoga teachers, talk to Ciara in the yoga room across from St Vincents hospital Merrion Road.

And thankfully there are still good genuine yoga teachers out there.... but you have to really look to find them.

I can recommend more good ones if you wish to contact me.

Having said all that..... i am sure that there are many people out there who need good physical exercise, and they are really benefiting from these
    yoga classes which mainly focus on physical asana. So in one way, these classes are also doing a lot of good.

But just think of the additional benefits these people could be getting if as well as the physical postures they were also working to train their mind, learn about some of the behaviours which keep us 'trapped within the world of illusion', and some of the behaviours which are powerful in releasing us and opening our eyes. Learning other practices to reduce our preoccupations and internal conflicts, taming the mind and becoming a much more loving person working mainly from the heart.

Think of what it could do for society as a whole.

Yes.... i am passionate about yoga and meditation and what it can do for us, and i see everyday the benefits that it brings to people who have been practicing for many years.

I wish you well with your practice.... and also that you may come across genuine yoga teachers who have put in the years of daily practice and who are inspiring ;-)

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chevalfou

An all too common problem!
    Fortunately, there are real yoga instructors in South Dublin. See http://www.yoga-ireland.com/classes/dsouth.htm for a full list.
    If you are into a dynamic style of yoga, I can particularly recommend David Collins (see his www. ashtanga.ie site). His classes are strong, but with a strong focus on the breathing, but he also teaches yoga philosophy. You can also try Veronica 085-7167631 [EMAIL="veronicayoga@gmail.com?subject=Yoga%20classes%20advertised%20on%20yoga-ireland.com"]veronicayoga@gmail.com[/EMAIL] or Marianne Jacuzzi 087-920-3600
    [EMAIL="sevenwinds@indigo.ie?subject=Yoga%20classes%20advertised%20on%20Yoga%20Ireland%20site"]sevenwinds@indigo.ie[/EMAIL]. All of them are very experienced yoga practionners, who view yoga as a
    self development tool / healing practice and not just as aerobics!
    Good luck on your journey!

Yes i agree with those teachers that Christophe just added.

There is also a search facility to help find yoga teachers all over Ireland at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/tchv

Just enter whichever county you are looking for and it will list those teachers.

Or if you prefer to experience genuine quality yoga and meditation within a yoga centre environment we run over 40 residential courses all year round.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Thanks for the replies - it's not just me then? :rolleyes:

I'll have a peruse through the links you posted and hopefully I'll find someone.
    I'll keep ye posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Maga

Hi, this is such an interesting thread!!

I'm having the same problem, I'm searching for a class that would be complete, and not just a workout.
    I was also hoping to find something in a pleasant environment - cozy venue, people with good vibe and similar approaches to yoga philosophy.

I was wondering if you guys found anything or have any suggestions particularly for slower, more introspective (for lack of a better word) but still strong types of yoga - maybe Iyengar, Satyanandra or Kundalini?

And hopefully not too far away from the city centre?

Thank you very much!

All the best,
    Maga

• Advertisement

Hi Maga,
    If you are ever looking to experience genuine yoga within a yogic environment, then you may like to consider going to a yoga weekend at the Burren Yoga and Meditation Centre?

If you have never been here before, you can see a 6 minute video which interviews people who have been here and shows some classes and outdoor activities at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/about-centre/yoga-holiday-retreat-movie-clip-dvd.html

If you would like independent reviews you could use google to search for 'burren yoga'

If you are looking for Iyengar yoga classes in Dublin city then you could try Greg Walsh who runs Samadhi yoga studios in Temple bar.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Maga wrote: »
    Hi, this is such an interesting thread!!

I'm having the same problem, I'm searching for a class that would be complete, and not just a workout.
    I was also hoping to find something in a pleasant environment - cozy venue, people with good vibe and similar approaches to yoga philosophy.

I was wondering if you guys found anything or have any suggestions particularly for slower, more introspective (for lack of a better word) but still strong types of yoga - maybe Iyengar, Satyanandra or Kundalini?

And hopefully not too far away from the city centre?

Thank you very much!

All the best,
    Maga
    There's an Iyengar studio near Phibsboro - is that convenient for you? I'd second the rec for Samadhi as well - great teachers there and lovely environment.

I feel really lucky, reading this thread - I alternate my practice amongst a number of studios on the southside and they're all great. I've had very few bad experiences!

Thank you so much for your replies!!

I have been looking up Samadhi and Lotus Yoga, it's great to hear Samadhi is good! I'm more on the south side, so Philsboro might be a bit far, but Samadhi would be perfect!

Thanks a lot again!!

Oh, I must drop you a PM! I know a good few places on the southside. Will do that in the next few days :)

Yey thank you a lot for that!! It would be a great help!!

I practiced yoga for a couple of years, but a long time ago, and now I really miss the experience I had back then. Would love to find a nice place!!

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

I've had the same experiences with the yoga classes I've tried in the past, they were just exercise classes and although that has some merit, it's not what I'm looking for.

I'd like a slower-moving alignment-focussed class if anyone could recommend one. I'm in South Dublin - Dundrum, City Centre and Rathmines suit if there is anything around there.

gnu wrote: »
    I've had the same experiences with the yoga classes I've tried in the past, they were just exercise classes and although that has some merit, it's not what I'm looking for.

I'd like a slower-moving alignment-focussed class if anyone could recommend one. I'm in South Dublin - Dundrum, City Centre and Rathmines suit if there is anything around there.
    Have you tried Yoga Dublin? They're in Ranelagh and Dundrum. They have some really great teachers, and a wide-ranging timetable.

I live on the southside, and can think of half a dozen good places off the top of my head! I feel really lucky to have so many good options near me :)

Thanks Hermione, I tried the Ranelagh branch once several years ago - that was one of my bad experiences! I am closer to the Dundrum one now and maybe I should give it another chance. Are there any instructors in particular you'd recommend? And if you know of any other classes or studios in the area could you let me know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I guess it's more about the teacher and style than a studio - perhaps you can narrow your choice down this way? I like Anusara style classes for more focused alignment and inspiration and you may want to avoid vinyasa classes.

That's a good point Mhge, thank you. The teacher in Ranelagh has good credentials but his style of teaching didn't suit me (and I hated that he threw a towel on my face when I was nicely relaxed in Savasana - he meant well but it disturbed me). His class was billed as gentle Hatha but was vinyasa and I am not keen on it. I'm not familiar with Anusara - will look into that.

gnu wrote: »
    Thanks Hermione, I tried the Ranelagh branch once several years ago - that was one of my bad experiences! I am closer to the Dundrum one now and maybe I should give it another chance. Are there any instructors in particular you'd recommend? And if you know of any other classes or studios in the area could you let me know?
    I mostly do Pilates at Yoga Dublin, so I can't recommend an instructor :(
    I've been to both Yoga Rooms in Ballsbridge and Sunrise in Dun Laoghaire, and really liked both.
    mhge wrote: »
    I guess it's more about the teacher and style than a studio - perhaps you can narrow your choice down this way? I like Anusara style classes for more focused alignment and inspiration and you may want to avoid vinyasa classes.
    I definitely agree with this. I switched from one Pilates teacher to another a few years ago, because I wanted to go to a studio closer to where I live. However, I hated the new teacher's style and ended up giving up on Pilates for a while! IME, it's really about finding a teacher you click with.

I've heard great things about Yoga Room but it's a bit tricky for me to get to. I think I will try a few places till I find the teacher that suits me best.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Samuel11

Practicing aerobic exercise is very good for health. This helps you to keep up your heart and lungs in a good condition for several years. The aerobics are simple to learn and is very helpful to keep yourself fit and energetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Namaste1

Definitely agree that it's about finding the right teacher for you as well as the right style for you.

Gnu - Iyengar is really focussed on alignment, but some classes can lack the more "rounded" aspect the OP mentioned and be purely physical.

Thanks Namaste, I thought Iyengar might be good for me - my theory was that it might help me learn proper alignment while I'm a beginner before my bad habits get too entrenched! :rolleyes: I haven't found any Iyengar near me though.

And somebody recommended Scaravelli style so I have been looking into that, he says it will blend well with my meditation practice. So that is what I'm most keen to find - so far I've found someone who teaches in town but that's not so handy for me these days.

So for now, I'll continue with my home practice and just hope that I'm not doing it wrong!

• Advertisement
Advertisement