Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreliable narrator

Options
  • 16-02-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

If using an unreliable narrator to tell a story (in this case suffering from intermittent insanity caused by terror and grief) would it enhance the story to use unusual sentence structure or some far out language?

I'm working through a story, and it struck me that the narrator is fairly well composed given what he's been through. I'm not sure I'm at the level where I can do this competently, but I'd like to try to do it in critical places. Can anyone suggest some techniques I could experiment with?

The story is probably closest to what's called a weird tale. I've got a fairly good explanation of what may have lead to the weirdness, but should I bother to explain it through the narrator?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Be careful that you don't make the story too difficult to read, you don't want to alienate the reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

One of the best examples of an unreliable narrator is Harry Potter. Every single story, he assumes someone is good or evil without evidence, and leads the reader to assume this too.

Personally, I think I'd stick to normal speech and sentence patterns for your character, but leave enough clues that the reader can spot things changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭noinc

There are so many factors to consider.
    Is piece written for publication, performance or recording ?
    Are you writing a comedy ?
    Is the narrator telling his or her own story and only because of how it affected them personally?

When you have considered these question for a while, you will be closer to the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Hey OP, while not a writer myself I can tell you that there have only been a few occasions where this convention (messing with text syntax or spelling to convey a certain meaning) have actually worked for me. It may be useful to see how other authors accomplish this, I would recommend reading Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting to see how he uses this technique to give each of his characters their own voice.

A more useful example for you however (since you want to convey mental illness or disconnect from reality) would be provided in Alfred Besters "The Stars My Destination", particularly when he uses various symbols, font sizes and work jumbles to convey the main characters confusion and inability to understand the world around him. While this section in the book is only a few pages long and comes towards the end I think it was brilliantly executed by the author and would be of use to you.

Advertisement