Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greeenwells glory

Options
  • 15-02-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi folks.I am looking to tie a greenwells glory.The dressing calls for yellow pearsall silk waxed with cobblers wax.Does anyone know where I could buy some cobblers wax without having to buy it online?.Also does it make that much of a difference to the pattern.?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

rtc wrote: »
    Hi folks.I am looking to tie a greenwells glory.The dressing calls for yellow pearsall silk waxed with cobblers wax.Does anyone know where I could buy some cobblers wax without having to buy it online?.Also does it make that much of a difference to the pattern.?

Fly tying suppiers have it.
    But you could just add some nail varnish or clear polyurethane varnish onto the silk body.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

I have tied the Greenwell's Glory using the cobbler's wax, using ordinary fly tying wax (hard) and i also used a soft tacky tying wax. Over the years i have not noted one wax being better than any other in catch ratings. I now use the whatever wax i find on the bench when tying Greenwell's. I got the cobbler's wax online. If you are planning to go to the Hooked Live angling show you might find some cobbler's wax on one of the fly tying stands there.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

Thanks lads.I'll be going to the show sunday week so i'll have a look then.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

The whole reason to use cobbler's wax with the Pearsalls primrose silk is to end up with a particular olive coloured thread. I'm sure UTC or UNI make a colour that is close enough - if you plan on fishing with it. If you're tying these for a competition better get the proper thread and wax because judges will definitely notice if a substitute has been used.

• Advertisement
Advertisement