Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Android line-up refresh is disappointing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Yeah, struggling to see any real progress being made here. What's next? Different colours?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭ongarite

Looks like all this years efforts when into the software, Sense 3 & the Facebook phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

the Nexus S is starting to look very good...

why? The Galaxy S II is a better speced phone then the nexus S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yup, a very very bad showing from HTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

that makes the next upgrade decision easier...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i saw reports of a Desire HD2, with dual core, sense 3.0, better resolution screen etc.... what happened to that? No mention of it seemingly at MWC.

I don't really see why people were expecting something big just 3/4 months after the HD and Z were released.

Those were their big phones at the time, they weren't likely to dump all over them so soon (Samsung waited a good while to upgrade the S to SII which was just announced). Same with Apple and the iPhone. Best chance for the next big HTC upgrades are 2nd half of the year imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

I don't really see why people were expecting something big just 3/4 months after the HD and Z were released.

You've got a point there, could have sworn they are out longer than that but they aren't in reality. That HD2 sounds nice however. Me wantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

i saw reports of a Desire HD2, with dual core, sense 3.0, better resolution screen etc.... what happened to that? No mention of it seemingly at MWC.

Those were their big phones at the time, they weren't likely to dump all over them so soon (Samsung waited a good while to upgrade the S to SII which was just announced). Same with Apple and the iPhone. Best chance for the next big HTC upgrades are 2nd half of the year imo.

All valid points to be fair. Many people, including myself are kinda thinking the incredible s is the new htc flagship when in reality the DHD still is. Its dificult to see though just where the incredible s is meant to fit in between the Desire s and the DHD, dont really think theres any need for it. That is, unless, the reason the desire s is so similar to the original is because the price will a lot lower, and that is a good thing.

Again, theres nothing wrong with the wildfire s and the improved screen resolution will win it plenty new fans i've no doubt. I guess ti just seems kinda uninteresting seeing the improved resolution is pretty much the only new feature

why? The Galaxy S II is a better speced phone then the nexus S

I have a nexus on the way. I'm looking forward to having the stock android experience and getting updates a bit faster. Will probably be using it for dev mainly however,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Zonda999 wrote: »
    All valid points to be fair. Many people, including myself are kinda thinking the incredible s is the new htc flagship when in reality the DHD still is. Its dificult to see though just where the incredible s is meant to fit in between the Desire s and the DHD, dont really think theres any need for it. That is, unless, the reason the desire s is so similar to the original is because the price will a lot lower, and that is a good thing.

Again, theres nothing wrong with the wildfire s and the improved screen resolution will win it plenty new fans i've no doubt. I guess ti just seems kinda uninteresting seeing the improved resolution is pretty much the only new feature

HTC Revolver is the new flagship phone for the states. Early reports are a dual core Evo size unit. Have to agree with the other non impressed posters about HTC's lineup so far :( Looking like a Galaxy S II with rooted HTC Sense UI in my future :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

That is the problem HTC has, they update with many phones across the calendar year, where others wait for big announcements at trade shows.

I like the idea of Nexus S and stock, getting upgrades etc, waiting to see what price Vodafone comes out with for price. God knows when they will have the Galaxy SII...I can't hang onto this upgrade forever as it just makes the time longer for my next potential upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Got quite disappointed. Also the the tablet was rubbish. Guess that makes my next OEM for the phone not HTC. I feel that they have been launching too many phones that are yesterday and not enough phones that are tomorrow.

Quite disappointing considering how much they innovated back in the day when i bought my HD2 and the Desire came out :(

Got quite disappointed. Also the the tablet was rubbish. Guess that makes my next OEM for the phone not HTC. I feel that they have been launching too many phones that are yesterday and not enough phones that are tomorrow.

Quite disappointing considering how much they innovated back in the day when i bought my HD2 and the Desire came out :(

+1

The HTC tablet looks so last year when compared to the Xoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

I was atleast hoping for some phones with better screen like Super AMOLED etc.

Seems like they made these phones just after they released their last batch and they're just waiting until now to bring them out. Not one dual-core phone even? Sure the new Desire S only comes with 2.2. WTF?

Lets hope the Moto Atrix (doubtful), LG Optimus 2X etc. come out here! :D

Mmm dont expect AMOLED screens to come back to HTC anytime soon. As we all know that Samsung is holding onto to Amoled screen technology like a dog on a bone since its the key selling point of their phones that they have better screens than anyone else has.

We all seen to what point when desires were outselling galaxy's and samsung just pulled the plug from HTC to get ahead. And they did. In very large numbers.

I dont find SLCD to be bad. But once you put the SLCD and amoLED screen side by side you do get jealous a bit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

We all seen to what point when desires were outselling galaxy's and samsung just pulled the plug from HTC to get ahead. And they did. In very large numbers.

Seriously, where did this come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Hypothetically HTC could of tried to devolop their own screen maybe. :p Instead of this whole 'scribe' thing. Does like good though. Doubt it'll be that useful though, who would want the Flyer? Well... it is HTC after all. :D

Not going into this discussion this all over again :) If you dont believe me :) Search the net ;) Atleast that way it was reported by several websites. Not just the shortage

Anyway its history. Not alot of point discussing it now.

Seriously, where did this come from?

Its pretty much old news at this stage and was the cause of the shortage of the Desire leading up to last summer and the change to the inferior screens on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Venom wrote: »
    Its pretty much old news at this stage and was the cause of the shortage of the Desire leading up to last summer.

Ya, that's true but the narrative that it was Samsung screwing over HTC to help the Galaxy range sales is ****e of the highest order. Seriously, I don't understand how anyone could believe it. It makes zero sense when you examine Samsung as a company.

• Advertisement

Well as i said its history. No point going over it now because last time is sparked alot of arguments over this :) so for the sake of peace leave it :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Samsung have always said that they dont/didnt give their own phones preference when sorting out who got amoled screens and when. At the same time samsung were right to not switch the galaxy s to super lcd, even if only for some markets.

To back up the first point, look what they did with the wave(s8500), that had a super amoled screen, whereas its official successor, the s8530, launchedin October, only 4 months after the original, only got super lcd

They did switch the galaxy s Amoled to SLCD in russia i think.

I think it was due to the fact that they want to manufacture more SA+ screens for S2 now. Rather than wasting money on old screen tech

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

HTC phones always feel more solid though. I'm not a fan of the light as a feather syle of the Galaxy. I was hoping for the Desire 2.

Hopfully something else will have turned up by the time my contract is up in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I don't see why people would be disappointed with the refresh. It is after all just a refresh of the lineup, it's not a new series of phones.

Advertisement