Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gormanston Aerodrome photos

Options
  • 15-02-2011 11:10am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Im looking for an aerial photo of the whole camp runway included, particularly the buildings near the hangar. Does anyone here have anything like this? doesnt matter which year it was taken so long as its in the last 20 years or so.

Ive checked OSI but the resolution is a bit rough so was hoping someone has some HiRes images of the whole camp.

If so, if you could pm them or post them here for me, I would be eternally grateful!!!

Morph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Is that not still an active military installation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

foinse wrote: »
    Is that not still an active military installation?

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Does it have a bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

benwavner wrote: »
    Yes it is.

Then I reckon that it probably wouldn't be prudent to post high res ariel photographs of it on a public website.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

It is an active army installation but deactivated aircorps installation and is currently used by the irish aviation authority for investigating crashes.

There are approved photos in the public domain.

There is also a highly detailed model of it in use on Flight Sim X which Ive also requested images of.

Im not looking for maps saying "armoury here" etc. im looking for maps or photos which have been published previously. if you are concerned you can PM me stuff or just ignore this post.

or go and look at detailed photos of it on the OSI website, they are just a little too blurry for my requirements.

You're all safe, i havent finished my kamikaze training yet anyway.

• Advertisement

Does it have a bar?

It has 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

foinse wrote: »
    Then I reckon that it probably wouldn't be prudent to post high res ariel photographs of it on a public website.

Here's one for the Brugha. I marked in the armoury in case you want to attack it.

Unfortunately, Bing's aerial photographs end just South of Gormanston.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

Donny5 wrote: »
    Here's one for the Brugha. I marked in the armoury in case you want to attack it.

Eh that's not the armoury, or certainly what I'm seeing you have marked as the armoury isn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Just looking on google maps and you can get right up to the gate of the camp on Google streetview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

always thought something fishy was going on out the back of military archives :pac:

• Advertisement

Pyridine wrote: »
    Eh that's not the armoury, or certainly what I'm seeing you have marked as the armoury isn't it!

it's the boathouse ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Maybe that's the point....

But then, how secret is it, really?. Even I, sitting here in California, know where the Armory is on that picture.

NTM

But then, how secret is it, really?. Even I, sitting here in California, know where the Armory is on that picture.

NTM

bunkery looking:check
    no windows:check
    sitting on it's own with plenty of grass around it:check

nah...I've no idea what your talking about chief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

NTM
    punchdrunk wrote: »
    bunkery looking:check
    no windows:check
    sitting on it's own with plenty of grass around it:check

nah...I've no idea what your talking about chief!

Nah, it's a common misconception, but you two are thinking of the rifle storage building. All the really dangerous stuff is kept in the building I indicated.

NTM
    And his army has JDAMS! time to move the armoury :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Morphéus wrote: »
    It has 2.

It actually has 3 bars.

I have an A3 size photo, well detailed here somewhere, il have a look, if I can find it I can post it to you.

Providing its for interesting reasons, I dont want to just give it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Last time I was up there, there was a rather large aerial photo still in the lecture hall.

Could be worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Nah, it's a common misconception, but you two are thinking of the rifle storage building. All the really dangerous stuff is kept in the building I indicated.

No, it's not.

Thanks guys, will check out lecture hall, although we usually use the auditorium and lecture rooms opposite the radio mast but havent noticed this here yet.

If you can take a photograph with a digital camera of the A3 photo you have and send that it would be fine im sure, but would love to have the photo if you no longer require it. will explain over pm what I require the image for and let you decide if you deem it as a good enough cause!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Methinks he is just procuring the urine:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

punchdrunk wrote: »
    it's the boathouse ;)

BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!:D

I spewed coffee!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

NTM

Would that have anything to do with you being a former member of a unit in that Barracks?

Advertisement