Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Masters Course

Options
  • 15-02-2011 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently thinking of taking a masters engineering course - online if possible as I am currently working - for anyone that has done it what avenue i.e open university, etc would recommend and how best to prepare for the study/work involved. Also any negatives on taking this approach?

My area of interest would be in mechanical or materials engineering - I currently hold a degree in Materials Science, and would need to brush up on my maths.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

320d wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am currently thinking of taking a masters engineering course - online if possible as I am currently working - for anyone that has done it what avenue i.e open university, etc would recommend and how best to prepare for the study/work involved. Also any negatives on taking this approach?

My area of interest would be in mechanical or materials engineering - I currently hold a degree in Materials Science, and would need to brush up on my maths.

Thanks in advance,

I have been doing Computer aided Mechanical and Manufacturing at DCU from the US (effectively online). I cannot attend classes but use the notes, and books to study, submitting projects when required and commuting for exams. I like the program allot. It is the same program as the FT students and no "Online" indication on your degree. The lecturers are very supportive.
    Any Q's let me know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    I have been doing Computer aided Mechanical and Manufacturing at DCU from the US (effectively online). I cannot attend classes but use the notes, and books to study, submitting projects when required and commuting for exams. I like the program allot. It is the same program as the FT students and no "Online" indication on your degree. The lecturers are very supportive.
    Any Q's let me know.

Ha! thats mad. im doing that course by distance too. from dublin though not the US.

i take it you have your own copy of the programs used e.g. ansys and fluent.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ha! thats mad. im doing that course by distance too. from dublin though not the US.

i take it you have your own copy of the programs used e.g. ansys and fluent.
    I thought I was going to return after a yr so started. The Engineering masters here cost too much money too! So I role my visits and exams into one. Company has both the programs I need. Doing a CFD thesis. Fun! Done in August though. It is accredited in the US under the Washington accord (Mutual recognition) so makes it worth my while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I thought I was going to return after a yr so started. The Engineering masters here cost too much money too! So I role my visits and exams into one. Company has both the programs I need. Doing a CFD thesis. Fun! Done in August though. It is accredited in the US under the Washington accord (Mutual recognition) so makes it worth my while.

Fair play, a CFD thesis and i would probably end up going mad and just speaking jibberish like "boundary conditions, mesh types, ahhhhh" all day long.

I am in interested on other people options on masters online. Graduate a few years ago. Working in unrelated sector and want a masters now to up skill i think. Money is an issue and courses are expensive.

Is there any type of grants to help with masters course. I really want to do one but the cost is prohibitive.

chris85 wrote: »
    Fair play, a CFD thesis and i would probably end up going mad and just speaking jibberish like "boundary conditions, mesh types, ahhhhh" all day long.

I am in interested on other people options on masters online. Graduate a few years ago. Working in unrelated sector and want a masters now to up skill i think. Money is an issue and courses are expensive.

Is there any type of grants to help with masters course. I really want to do one but the cost is prohibitive.

Most of the master in Engineering are funded under the HEA skills program. This means a master is around 2500 yo yo per year. This to me is pretty reasonable, but I guess it is all relative.

• Advertisement

Most of the master in Engineering are funded under the HEA skills program. This means a master is around 2500 yo yo per year. This to me is pretty reasonable, but I guess it is all relative.

that is resonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

I'm an engineer doing a masters in project management by distance from UL. Course is good but its tough going working and studying. Just because is by distance doesn't mean its easier. You still need to hit the grade and in fairness, I wouldn;t want it if it was easy.

You need to be organised,motivated and have the support of your other half. Probably easier if you don't have another half!

What ever course you select, think long and hard before you start it because 12-14 months in you'll be sick of it ( at least some of the time!) and you need to be sure you can fight your way through that. Personally I'm glad I'm doing.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭320d

Frogeye wrote: »
    I'm an engineer doing a masters in project management by distance from UL. Course is good but its tough going working and studying. Just because is by distance doesn't mean its easier. You still need to hit the grade and in fairness, I wouldn;t want it if it was easy.

You need to be organised,motivated and have the support of your other half. Probably easier if you don't have another half!

What ever course you select, think long and hard before you start it because 12-14 months in you'll be sick of it ( at least some of the time!) and you need to be sure you can fight your way through that. Personally I'm glad I'm doing.

Best of luck.

Is this project management course run via Engineers Ireland?

edit - found a link: http://www.cpm.ul.ie/courses/mastersDistanceLearning.asp
    is this it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Fair play everyone.I'm looking at a Masters in Management in UCD - 2 years, mainly online. I'm an engineer, looking for a change in career, but I need to be able to get a job at the same time. It's good to hear how other people find them. (Sorry, not much help to the OP!)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

320d wrote: »
    Is this project management course run via Engineers Ireland?

edit - found a link: http://www.cpm.ul.ie/courses/mastersDistanceLearning.asp
    is this it?

thats the one. Not run by engineers ireland.

• Advertisement

any other grants available similar to the hea grant for master

dan_d wrote: »
    Fair play everyone.I'm looking at a Masters in Management in UCD - 2 years, mainly online. I'm an engineer, looking for a change in career, but I need to be able to get a job at the same time. It's good to hear how other people find them. (Sorry, not much help to the OP!)

Thanks Dan D - any info that can be given is always good

Has anyone completed a masters via Open University - was talking to a guy a few years ago that did one and it was recommended but I now wish I got more information

Advertisement