Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Legal studies??

Options
  • 15-02-2011 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Im a first year Art student.
    Next year I hope to keep Legal Studies and Spanish but unfortunately I'm not certain if I will be able to....

The NUIG website states the following about Legal Studies :"Only students who pass First Arts as a whole, including Legal Studies, at the first attempt,
    are eligible to be considered for the 100 Legal Studies places in second year
    ".

You see one of my other subjects is French, and I absolutely hate it. I failed the first module of this subject and this means that I cannot pass French regardless of whether or not I pass the other two modules in French.

So what I want to know is, if I have failed French does this mean I will not be able to take Legal Studies in second year even if I get within the top 100 places in it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Seems pretty clear to me, but maybe if you speak to somebody in the arts faculty to make sure? Will you be able to compensate up to a pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭1992

Seems pretty clear to me, but maybe if you speak to somebody in the arts faculty to make sure? Will you be able to compensate up to a pass?

No because the module was tested by continuous assessment rather than an exam so I don't think there is any way I can repeat anything to pass it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

You do know what compensation is, right? Where if you get a fail, if you get over a certain amount of marks in other subjects the total can be brought up to a pass.

You do know what compensation is, right? Where if you get a fail, if you get over a certain amount of marks in other subjects the total can be brought up to a pass.

Oh no I never actually heard of that... Oh well hopefully I can do that then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I barely passed that in first year and I still got offered a place in second year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

They will offer the places to perople firstly who passed all exams and did quite well in legal science.
    Not all will take the place and then they will offer those to others.
    I knwo of someone who failed a module and got offered a place late in teh summer in legal science. maybe ask to speak to someone in the law faculty or arts faculty about it, but you can still get offered it.

They will offer the places to perople firstly who passed all exams and did quite well in legal science.
    Not all will take the place and then they will offer those to others.
    I knwo of someone who failed a module and got offered a place late in teh summer in legal science. maybe ask to speak to someone in the law faculty or arts faculty about it, but you can still get offered it.

What if you fail a subject completely? Because with the way I'm going there isn't much hope of me passing French at all, not just the module.... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

we need more entrepreneurs not bloody lawyers. give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mangled

1992 wrote: »
    No because the module was tested by continuous assessment rather than an exam so I don't think there is any way I can repeat anything to pass it...

you can redo assignments that you failed in regards to CA. Because there is no exam this is the only way you can achieve a pass. So my advise is, redo all the assignments, at least the ones you failed, and hand them in to either your lecturer or the French departments secretary before the end of this semester(1st April).

Besto

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ms January

If u failed legal studies at first attempt and passed on second try... Is there any way u can do it next year???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

-

Advertisement