Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know anywhere else to buy 2nd hand/spare parts?

Options
  • 15-02-2011 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hey so does anyone know anywhere else you might be able to find second hand/spare parts other than here, or adverts/gumtree/donedeal etc?

I had a look in Rothar but to be honest the parts the have looked to be in rag order. Anyone have any ideas of where I could look?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

do I have to say Ebay? where else can you buy second hand stuff for nowt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

ive been looking a lot on ebay and to be honest the prices are actually more expensive than some of the cycle websites like ribble. Way over priced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

what exactly are you looking for?

Looking to build up a bike in the future. Looking to basically get a groupset, 105 if possible but just collecting the parts as I go along as cheap as possible. Plus cheap wheelset etc. Everything really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Search on ebay.de - usually prices are a good bit cheaper there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

thehamo wrote: »
    ive been looking a lot on ebay and to be honest the prices are actually more expensive than some of the cycle websites like ribble. Way over priced

Are you looking at 'buy it now' or auctions?
    Are you looking for new or second hand parts?
    Obviously larger items such as wheels will be expensive when shipping is taken into consideration.
    For SH parts, ebay is yer only man, just learn how to snipe, I've gotten parts at such ridiculously low prices I feel a little guilty sometimes. BTW, I only manually snipe.
    Also, I use ebay.co.uk, never .ie, and always use a worldwide search.
    CRC is sometimes good, but you get sick of them advertising an item for 80% off rrp, but then finding out it's sized for munchkins etc.

Looking to build up a bike in the future. Looking to basically get a groupset, 105 if possible but just collecting the parts as I go along as cheap as possible. Plus cheap wheelset etc. Everything really!

Exactly what I did/am doing again.
    You need to keep a daily out in the adverts section of here/Adverts/e-bay in all its forms ie ebay.ie , ebay.co.uk, ebay.de, and one of the best hunting grounds ,imo, is the classifieds section of Bike Radar (although some of the guys there seem to be petrified a the thought of posting stuff outside the UK. Its cheaper then they think but can be painfully slow due to their postal system.
    Dont be afraid to put up a post asking for something. You will be surprised what guys/girls have left hanging around.

are they generally open to posting to Ireland from the other intl ebay websites? I thought Ebay.ie was the only one where international sellers would post to Ireland

are they generally open to posting to Ireland from the other intl ebay websites? I thought Ebay.ie was the only one where international sellers would post to Ireland
    It really depends on the seller.
    I picked up a few bits from UK sellers who had no problem posting outside UK. I always drop them a line if you spot something.
    thats why I dont soley refine my search to ebay.ie (and checking the boxes UK & Ire) but go into .co.uk etc.
    I very rarely do .com as a lot is US based and shipping seems to be massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

I've bought a lot of stuff from sellers who don't offer international postage. The main reason they don't offer it is they aren't bothered trying to figure out the postage to Indonesia or wherever! I usually explain it's only a few pounds more and doesn't require any special postage requirements. Also, if they agree to post, you get stuff infinitely cheaper since there's about a billion people that won't bother bidding since the think its only available to England. In fact I look for stuff that specifically isn't posted internationally and come to an agreement with the seller before I bid. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Here are some sites I have bookmarked for when it comes time to build my dream bike - but not actually used yet:

http://hilarystone.com/

http://www.classicbikeshop.eu/classic-parts.html

http://www.tourdeville.co.uk/

but on reflection maybe they are a bit 'vintage-ey' for your requirements?

Nice sites though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

justo wrote: »

but on reflection maybe they are a bit 'vintage-ey' for your requirements?

Nice sites though :)

You might like retrobike.co.uk if you don't already know about it. :)

aaaaaargh contacted a seller who agreed to post to ireland. was getting a 105 rear and front meche for £30 and when I went to bid at the last minute, it wouldnt let me saying the seller hasnt specified my country as an area as postage!:mad: raging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Why don't you try a wanted ad in the buy and sell section here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

aaaaaargh contacted a seller who agreed to post to ireland. was getting a 105 rear and front meche for £30 and when I went to bid at the last minute, it wouldnt let me saying the seller hasnt specified my country as an area as postage!:mad: raging

All part of the game I'm afraid. Welcome to the wonderful world of piece by piece bike building! ;) hang in there though, don't give up yet.

Advertisement