Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specialized v Dawes

Options
  • 14-02-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

I know its a boring topic but I need advice on a bike to buy.

I see two options, Specialized Allez 16/24 (€475) or Dawes Mono 2010 (€775). I hear good things about the Specialized and it looks like good value giving me more money to spend on gear, the Dawes is more expensive (=better!?) and has a mudgaurd :)

What do you guys think? I have 1k on the cycle to work scheme, I'll be using it for work and longer cycles at weekends. Unfortunately I have to use this UK website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

well for starters one is fixed/freewheel the other has gears...which do you reckon would suit you?It seems an odd selection cosidering the diff in price and the fact their completly diff bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Whats a fixed/freewheel? I'm used to having gears. I just want a decent racer. I just picked the two beacause the Specialized was reduced by €160 and I just picked the Dawes because of price and my budget, basically I don't have a clue I'm just basing it on bigger price equals better bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The Dawes has one gear; I think it's a single-speed (you don't need to keep pedalling all the time; fixed-gear bikes require you to keep pedalling at all times).

The Specialized looks as if it has about twenty-four (though gears overlap on derailleur bikes, so you don't really get twenty-four unique gears). It's called the Allez 24 2010, so suppose that's the number of gears.

What do you want the bike for? This is the most important consideration in deciding what bike you should get (coupled with the money you have available).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I'll be using it for a commute to work and longer cycles at weekends. If there's a bile in my price range that ppl can recommend?

• Advertisement

I guess your price range is sub-1k? Do you want to carry loads on the bike at all, or just cycle light?

Also, is there a particular reason you want a racing bike? Do you want to do long spins at the weekend?

I only ask because hybrids are rather cheap and are good for commuting, since they're usually well set up for carrying small luggage and come with mudguards. They can be ok for cycling moderate distances as well (30km, say). If you want to do long spins, a racing bike would be better.

I've never owned a racing bike, so I wouldn't presume to advise you on which to buy. All my bikes have been bought with a view to utility cycling (commuting and carrying loads).

Advertisement