Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registering an imported vintage car... NCT?

Options
  • 14-02-2011 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi -

I've recently brought over a pre-1980 car from the UK, and assumed it was a case of heading the local Revenue office to get an Irish logbook for it, then the plates, etc (as I've did 2 or 3 years ago). I was informed that it's now a case of booking it in with the NCT folk - does that mean they'll want to NCT it too, or do they deal with the registration of it as a separate issue?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If it has a current UK MOT this will do to have it assessed for VRT,if not you will need to have it NCT tested before it's assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

aujopimur wrote: »
    If it has a current UK MOT this will do to have it assessed for VRT,if not you will need to have it NCT tested before it's assessed.
    i don't think you are right on that,if it is registered prior to 1st jan 1980,it's exempt from NCT.
    BUT I COULD BE WRONG !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HeavyPop

It has a current MOT AND is pre-1980, so is that good?! :)

Err, so they give the logbooks out these days at the NCT, is that correct?
    Is it still €50?

HeavyPop wrote: »
    It has a current MOT AND is pre-1980, so is that good?! :)

Err, so they give the logbooks out these days at the NCT, is that correct?
    Is it still €50?
    NCT/ MOT only required for VRT assessment, under current rules your car will be excempt from testing in the future.
    Not all test centres assess imported cars, check with NCT for list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

From conversations had on here before, it seems the car isn't subject to a full "NCT" - just a basic roadworthiness test - in the NCT centre.

This was all new to me too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if it doesnt have a UK MoT or equivalent from wherever it comes, the NCTS will inspect it for roadworthiness before re-reging it. They will also look for proof of date of purchase and date of import. Still €50 at the moment I think it goes up to €200 in june but not had that clarified

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I'll clarify it again for you Corky ;):

On the 1st May 2011 the VRT Category C rate increases from €50 to €200

VRT Category C:

This category includes:
    • all large commercial vehicles not falling into Category B;
    • crew cabs with a cargo area length exceeding 45% of the wheelbase and a GVW exceeding 3,500 kilograms;
    • motor caravans exceeding 3,000 kilograms unladen weight;
    • "listed vehicles";
    • vehicles (excluding motor-cycles) which are more then 30 years old at the time of registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Do you need the chassis number stamped on the car body to get it cleared, its on the riveted on info plate under the bonnet, but due to some welded repairs its no longer where it should be on the car.
    My guess is yes, but ill still ask anyways.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

Do you need the chassis number stamped on the car body to get it cleared, its on the riveted on info plate under the bonnet, but due to some welded repairs its no longer where it should be on the car.
    You never know the plate might work ,we cleared an austin 8, 2 weeks ago and thats only got a chassis plate although we had headaches with it cos the plate didn't match the logbook but by that i mean instead of 551 on plate the book had ssi.
    but after 3+ months we got it cleared,give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

salysol wrote: »
    give it a go.
    Will do so, it hasnt a current MOT so will have to go through the 'Roadworthiness Test' anyways, though im sure they will want to see the number on the car.
    What does proof of purchase entail, as the car was imported in 2006 and ran on a swimmerplate since:rolleyes: Plus the guy who imported it has moved to OZ.
    Would a reciept have to be 'Created'?;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Id say they will look for it...although I dont know either....

DIY chassis stamping is acceptable.

Advertisement