Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ballinlee longford road

Options
  • 14-02-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

hi folks
    i was on my travels over the weekend and travel from longford to granard via ballinlee just outside longford there is a new roundabout at a set of gates into a closed up construction site

what was being built???? i see a few houses backing onto the road???
    anyone one any details

is it another Celtic tiger dream gone bad :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

2509471110_a986e219b7.jpg

"One of the most important developments ever to take place in Longford and one of the most significant developments for the Irish tourist industry is being launched today.

Carrigglas is one of the finest walled parkland estates in this country comprising of 600 acres.

The Minister for Finance, Mr. Brian Cowen T.D. performed the Sod-turning Ceremony, while Retief Goosen, winner of the US Open 2001 and 2004 and winner of the Qatar Masters 2007, performed the Drive-Off for the commencement of the new Championship Golf Course.

The Carrigglas Estate will comprise of a Championship Golf Course, 96 Bedroom four star hotel, 19 five star suites, a romantic woodland walkway and a fine selection of exclusive homes built on the estate’s old deer park. Situated just one mile from Longford Town and under 90 minutes from Dublin, the potential of Carrigglas is significant for both Longford and Ireland."

Section 23 tax incentive at its worst. Donnie has a lovely head of hair on him!

Mind boggling that Longford Co.Co gave the go ahead but what else could you expect from such a useless shower of overpaid hoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

omg.... i have just googled carrigglass what a trail of destruction........its a mess from start to unfinish

thanks baldbear

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

if you drive further into the parish (kiloe) and just out of cully fad you will see about 50 houses built in 100 metres from the road half built and left with huge stockpiles of gravel

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

I never liked the idea of Carriglass being handed over to developers and the result speaks for itself!

I remember when I was young my parents brought me out to the house one Sunday. The Lefroys, who still owned it at the time, used to open it up to the public at the weekends... there were guided tours of the manor house and there was a museum in one of the outhouses (converted stable?) detailing their family history. If I'm not mistaken, they were related to the Edgeworths, and one of their ancestors on that side of the family, who lived there, provided the inspiration for the character of Mr. Darcy in Jane Austen's 'Pride & Prejudice'. I also remember looking at the very distinctive-looking walled orchard on the far side of the road every time we'd drive past it...

With so much history behind the place, it should never have been let fall into the hands of private enterprise. If it had been completed it would have been soulless at best, but the current situation is far, far worse. It could so easily have been bought by a public/tourist body and developed further as a museum and parkland. Wishful thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

it'd be cool if john reynolds could do with a local stately home what he does with another on the first weekend in september every year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

I never liked the idea of Carriglass being handed over to developers and the result speaks for itself!

I remember when I was young my parents brought me out to the house one Sunday. The Lefroys, who still owned it at the time, used to open it up to the public at the weekends... there were guided tours of the manor house and there was a museum in one of the outhouses (converted stable?) detailing their family history. If I'm not mistaken, they were related to the Edgeworths, and one of their ancestors on that side of the family, who lived there, provided the inspiration for the character of Mr. Darcy in Jane Austen's 'Pride & Prejudice'. I also remember looking at the very distinctive-looking walled orchard on the far side of the road every time we'd drive past it...

With so much history behind the place, it should never have been let fall into the hands of private enterprise. If it had been completed it would have been soulless at best, but the current situation is far, far worse. It could so easily have been bought by a public/tourist body and developed further as a museum and parkland. Wishful thinking...

You're right, it was a beautiful place back then. little cafe, costume museum, tours of house, pretty gardens. nothing like that round here now without leaving the county

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

Garfieldghost is spot on it would of made a great tourist attraction or place for a family day out.

A bit like Pakenham Hall at Castlepollard, great day out in there gardens and big house. Longford doesn't have much tourist stuff to offer, or does it??

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

unless you count an empty bowlin alley as a tourist attraction theres none . closest large tourist attraction i think is lough key forest park near boyle .

http://www.loughkey.ie/

this would have been a much more suitable idea for carriglass as there are already too many houses throughout a small county

The main attraction in Longford town was actually the cathedral, which drew 100,000+ tourists each year, according to statistics. This total made it more popular than the Chester Beatty Library and the most visited free tourist attraction outside of Dublin. Unfortunately, in its current state it means 100,000 less people visiting the town each year and using its facilities.

At the moment the County Council are looking to take over the old army barracks. I forwarded a submission where I proposed that it could be converted into a museum facility that would draw tourists from all over the country and further afield. But, having seen their proposals, they seem more intent on fragmenting the facility by dividing it up for different uses that won't have the same positive effect on the local economy...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Its a thundering disgrace, thats what it is.

Beautiful estate now ruined with horrendous looking houses. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wagga Wagga

The main attraction in Longford town was actually the cathedral, which drew 100,000+ tourists each year, according to statistics. This total made it more popular than the Chester Beatty Library and the most visited free tourist attraction outside of Dublin. Unfortunately, in its current state it means 100,000 less people visiting the town each year and using its facilities.

I don't know where you got these figures from but there is no way that St.Mels is the biggest tourist attraction outside Dublin (Ring of Kerry, Newgrange, Cliffs of Moher etc.)

The figure of 100,000 tourists visiting annually is a bit daft. Do you really believe 250-300 people were visiting every day?

I don't know where you got these figures from but there is no way that St.Mels is the biggest tourist attraction outside Dublin (Ring of Kerry, Newgrange, Cliffs of Moher etc.)

The figure of 100,000 tourists visiting annually is a bit daft. Do you really believe 250-300 people were visiting every day?

You didn't read my post properly. I said it was the most popular free tourist attraction outside Dublin. Now, as it turns out, I may be wrong. It is/was, according to the link below, the second most visited free tourist attraction outside of Dublin - but with 250,000 visitors in 2007.

Link: http://www.failteireland.ie/FailteCorp/media/FailteIreland/documents/Research%20and%20Statistics/Tourism%20Facts/2007/Tourism-Facts-2007.pdf (scroll to bottom of last page)

I remember the story was also covered by the national press at the time but I can't find any reference online (yet).

As for 250 - 300 people visiting every day - this actually isn't unreasonable when you think about it. Longford is a popular stopping-off point for those on journeys between Dublin and the West. This includes tourist coaches but also a lot of individuals travelling by car. Whenever I walked past the Cathedral it would be strange not to see a trickle of people going in and out... some would obviously be members of the local congregation but there were always a few with cameras or guidebooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wagga Wagga

You didn't read my post properly. I said it was the most popular free tourist attraction outside Dublin. Now, as it turns out, I may be wrong. It is/was, according to the link below, the second most visited free tourist attraction outside of Dublin - but with 250,000 visitors in 2007.

Link: http://www.failteireland.ie/FailteCorp/media/FailteIreland/documents/Research%20and%20Statistics/Tourism%20Facts/2007/Tourism-Facts-2007.pdf (scroll to bottom of last page)

I remember the story was also covered by the national press at the time but I can't find any reference online (yet).

Sorry, I did indeed miss the free bit.

I still don't believe those numbers though. A figure of 250,000 visitors a year is just mental. That would mean 685 people visiting every day of the year regardless of whether it was peak-season or off-seaon!!!!!!!!

I'm not trying to start a big running argument with you, but common sense has to tell you those numbers are wrong. I'm from Longford and I can safely say I very, very rarely saw anyone wandering around the cathedral grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

given that the museum entrance was at the back, it'd be easy to miss people going in and out too!

Sorry, I did indeed miss the free bit.

I still don't believe those numbers though. A figure of 250,000 visitors a year is just mental. That would mean 685 people visiting every day of the year regardless of whether it was peak-season or off-seaon!!!!!!!!

I'm not trying to start a big running argument with you, but common sense has to tell you those numbers are wrong. I'm from Longford and I can safely say I very, very rarely saw anyone wandering around the cathedral grounds.

You can always contact Fáilte Ireland and ask them how they collate their figures - if you're questioning the number of visitors to St Mel's then surely that leaves question marks over the numbers visiting places like the National Gallery. And it can't really be a case of mixing up the congregation with bona fide tourists - otherwise the likes of the Cathedral of St Mary & St Anne (Cork) and Galway Cathedral would be high up on that list, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Any news on Carrigglass Manor, is it still chained/locked up?
    Is there someone looking after the place to keep the usual louts out who would break windows and tag the place.
    Stayed there years ago, it was a lovely place and the Lefroy's couldn't do more for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

nudger wrote: »
    Any news on Carrigglass Manor, is it still chained/locked up?
    Is there someone looking after the place to keep the usual louts out who would break windows and tag the place.
    Stayed there years ago, it was a lovely place and the Lefroy's couldn't do more for you.

Its still the same, I live on the ballinalee road just before the little roundabout. Its a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

I know the family were from England, do you know did they go back or stay in Ireland?
    Is the big house in one piece or has it been damaged?

Advertisement