Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you take your child to a music and movement class run by a man??

Options
  • 14-02-2011 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

My wife and i are expecting our first born later this year and I am looking into starting up music and movement classes for babies to enable me to be a stay at home dad. What are your feelings on a man running such classes?? Am I wasting my time entertaining the idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

I'd have no problem going to a class run by a man with my children, it would be a nice change to be honest, parents would be there so anyway so I don't see a problem.
    Get garda veted I guess, I know all teachers have to get vetted, prob a good thing to have in case anyone asks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I wrote a big angry response about your possible sexism before re- reading your post and realising my mistake, sorry!

I don't think you should have any problems setting up this class, as long as you have experience and qualifications to back it up. You should network, go to a lot of parent and toddler groups/ parks/ children's play areas with your child and get chatting with people.
    Once you are known within your local community, it may put any doubters at ease.
    Any person who works with children should have Garda clearance, and it would also be a bonus to have First Aid as well.
    Good luck, it sounds like a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TheMart

Thanks ElleEm, I was in the middle of trying to politely reply to your first post. I will be paying to attend a course that will give me any necessary guidance/training that I need and have already applied for the Garda vetting. Thank you both for your responses...........off to a good start!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

TheMart wrote: »
    My wife and i are expecting our first born later this year and I am looking into starting up music and movement classes for babies to enable me to be a stay at home dad. What are your feelings on a man running such classes?? Am I wasting my time entertaining the idea?

Definitely wouldn't be a problem. Best of luck, hope it all works out!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Wouldn't be an issue for us at all.
    Would love a good toddlers music class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

would make a nice change, everything is run by women, most teachers are women and i would like my children to see a more gender balance.
    Go for it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Would make no difference to us anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I think it would be great out gymboree classes on sat are mainly full of men so i say a lot of the dads would be up for it.

There is a new instructor in one of our classes who a male and he seems lovely. I've no problem with what sex you are once the class is fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

It would make no difference to me, its the quality of the teaching.

My favourite teacher that I remember from childhood was a man, he was my private violin teacher and he was wonderful. I would not let the hysteria get in the way of an education.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest what sex the teacher is so long as it's a well planned, well executed class that the kids enjoy. I attended a class locally which was very badly run and smacked of a stay at home mam who decided to try her hand at running a class to earn a few bob. She had little or no interest in interacting with the kids and there were massive lulls in the class where she was deciding what to do next and she lost the interest of the kids and any semblance of control. Lots and lots of people dropped out and it wasn't cheap!

On the other hand, I tried a different class ( a franchise ) and the lady who runs it is a complete genius with the kids. She tells the kids at the beginning of the class about what today's theme is and then she goes full steam ahead and keeps it upbeat and fun and the kids hang on her every word. It's great fun for the parents and kids alike and it's so obvious that she puts lots of work into it with lesson plans etc. As a result there's the same people back every term and personally, I'd travel to attend her classes with my kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

I'd never have thought it'd be an issue for anyone to be honest! Why on earth would it?! Good luck :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

i think it sounds like a great idea. i would send my child definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Days

Ya no problem at all! As long as you genuinely like children! If a male or female only tollerates them it's very obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I wouldn't even give it a second thought, I just said it to my fiance and he said he would prefer for a welcome change to go to a class with our son taught by a guy!!

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

As long as you have a good way with the children and make it a fun experience for them, I say go for it! As others have said, get your vetting and away you go :D

I would prefer to have my child see more men in this environment. A daddy joined our parent and toddler group recently and it was a welcomed change. Though all the kids were obsessed with him, he has a good way with him and I think they get sick of all women too! :D

Good luck OP:D

Advertisement