Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adjusting/ replacing handbrake cable on 2001 MK3 Mondeo

Options
  • 14-02-2011 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all, Hopefully somebody can guide me through the procedure of checking/ adjusting/ renewing the handbrake cable on my brothers 2001 MK3 Mondeo saloon. We changed the rear discs, pads, brake hoses and calipers (which had siezed solid) at the weekend. They seem somewhat an eccentric set up in certain aspects. But having said that I can't say I saw the set up on too many different models to draw comparisons.

We also changed the handbrake cables running from the central divider to each caliper. Dropped the exhaust first then the heat sheild and changed em. One had siezed and the other had broke I believe. Before that the handbrake had not being working in the slightest for well over a year I think. Now the handbrake is working but is very very weak. Hardly even strong enough to pass a NCT I'd imagine. I understand from the Haynes manual (a poor enough book in my opinion) that the handbrake is self adjusting in these. Don't exactly know how a self adjusting handbrake works but would have thought a few pulls of it would do whats needed. However, no such luck. Could anybody advise what possibly needs to be done? Could it be the case that the inner handrake cable running from the handrake to the central divider needs to be changed or otherwise as may be the case if we possibly overloooked some step?

Any advice or tips are going to be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I adjust them under the heat shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭john.west

Plug wrote: »
    I adjust them under the heat shield.

Thing is I didn't see any means by which to adjust them there plug. It would have appeared to me that the cables just slot into the divider coming from the main handbrake cable with no means of making any adjustments whatsoever unless I'm missing something totally obvious and apparent?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

The Mondeo's automatic handbrake adjustment mechanism is situated at the handbrake control lever itself.
    The ratchet & pawls teeth wear quickly, and the only answer is to fit a new assembly. You'll need to get a new handbrake lever which will come with a new adjuster and front cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If Ii remember correctly you access the handbrake adjustment from the rear of the center storage console.

Advertisement