Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow way hiking trip

Options
  • 13-02-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Me and 3 of my mates are thinking of doing part of the Wicklow way. we think we will spend a full day walking and then camp somewhere in tents and then walk for the next day. Does anyone know the best part of the way to do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

How are you planning on getting to/from the route? If you'll be able to get a lift, then you have a lot of options for walking (although there are very few places you can camp along the route in tents, to be honest). If you will be relying on public transport, you'll be much more limited. Really only Marlay Park, Glendalough and Glenmalure are served by buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭airsofter1234

i am able to get dropped off there in a car.
    is the section between knockree and roundwood any good and then camp at lough dan?

i am able to get dropped off there in a car.
    is the section between knockree and roundwood any good and then camp at lough dan?

Yeah, that's a lovely stretch, alright. You can bag Maulin and Djouce on Day 1, as well; great views from both if you get the weather.

The Way doesn't actually pass Lough Dan; it crosses the Avonmore about eight or nine hundred meters below the end of the Lough, and unless you fancy some Vietnam war-style jungle walking up the river, you'll have to walk around the southern side of the lake. The only place to camp around Lough Dan is the North West corner. There's a beach and plenty of flat land there. The next day you could either walk back to the Way and continue on to Glendalough or else head North West up through the forest from Lough Dan to the Sally Gap road.

Alternatively, you could do the Marlay Park-Knockree-Roundwood section. The walk from Marlay Park over the Dublin Mountains to Knockree is a great stretch, with great city views giving way to one of the nicer parts of the whole route. Being so close to the city, the route is very well taken care of. Knockree is full of campsites on either side of the river. It's a lovely spot for an overnight stay, and if the weather turns bad and you decide to bug out, Knockree is home to a brand new hostel.

The next day you would continue along the Way until you get to Ballinastoe woods, then you take the road down to Roundwood. You'd have a good long 20km walk with plenty of uphill on Day 1, and a less-challenging second day, which might suit if you'll have a hangover!

is there any wild camping spots in the forest on the banks of lough dan and not in the official campsite, because we are more into the camping and campfire bit :p

is there any wild camping spots in the forest on the banks of lough dan and not in the official campsite, because we are more into the camping and campfire bit :p

No, mate, there is no official campsite. There's the beach and there's flat land, but there isn't much chance of you getting a fire going legally, unless you bring your own fuel. You might find some dead wood around, but cutting down trees won't earn you any favours. The land around there is private commercial forestry and they do have people out looking after it.

• Advertisement

ha i have experience you see when i was younger and had nothing to do me and a couple of friends would go to a nearby forest and have fires :L and i was in scouts years ago :L is it illegal to light campfires

ha i have experience you see when i was younger and had nothing to do me and a couple of friends would go to a nearby forest and have fires :L and i was in scouts years ago :L is it illegal to light campfires

Lighting fires isn't illegal, except in the national park, but the problem is fuel. Cutting down the trees is illegal, since all the forestry in Ireland is private and run for profit. Best thing is to look for fallen but not rotten trees, and burn them. Best practice is to cover the fire up afterwards and bring all your rubbish out, not bury it.

ye thats what we usually do but start it with a firelighter :p and then start putting on twigs then brances and then logs(we find on ground because freshly cut trees dont burn(learnt from experience :p

i think we will do knockree to glenmalure.
    how long does that take and how much walkin each day??

how long does that take and how much walking each day??

• Advertisement

how long does that take and how much walking each day??

Knockree to Glendalough, maybe? Knockree to Glenmalure would 44km over two days. I've walked it in one go, but it'd be a long old slog. If this is your first hiking trip, maybe go easy while you get a feel for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Topper Harley01

Is it possible to stay in hostels along the entire route without having to bring a tent? I haven't had a proper chance to go over the route yet.

Some useful links here for whoever wants them:

http://www.wicklowway.com/

And here's a map of the trail..

complete-wicklow-way-map.jpg

Is it possible to stay in hostels along the entire route without having to bring a tent? I haven't had a proper chance to go over the route yet.

Yes, it mostly is, although you'd have to settle for B&B's for the Southern half. In fact, it's much, much easier to find hostels, hotels & B&B's along the route than it is to find campsites. The Way is good for bivvying, since it goes through a lot of forestry, but not tents.

Assuming you're heading South, you can stay in:

Knockree - Knockree Youth Hostel
    Roundwood - Skylark's Rest
    Glendalough - Glendalough International Hostel
    Glenmalure - Glenmalure Lodge (B&B, not a hostel)
    Aughavannagh - Lugnacoille House Hostel

After that, I don't think there are any other hostels. There are tons of B&B's, but they tend to be a lot more expensive. The Southern half on the Way is also a lot less appealing, with more hills than mountains and much less striking scenery. It also ends in Carlow, and who wants to go there?

could knockree to glenmalure be done over 3 days spent a night at lough dan and another in the national park somewhere(if you can or do you need a permit)

could knockree to glenmalure be done over 3 days spent a night at lough dan and another in the national park somewhere(if you can or do you need a permit)

You can wild camp in the national park no problem, except for the Glendalough Valley. If you camp anywhere in there, you'll be moved on by the Rangers. Knockree to Glenmalure would be double in 2 days, 3 at a leisurely pace.

then i think thats settled :P is there much camping spots in the park tho?

Advertisement