Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Construction page

Options
  • 13-02-2011 9:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭

I am Banned from construction page for abusive language

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

You'll need to provide some details of the ban, and your complaint.

If you think the ban is unwarranted, unfair or wrong in some way ... please explain why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

It is not the ban as such i object to it is that the ban is pernememt. I forget exactly what I said wrong but I do not think I was abusive. I definately do not believe I did anything to deserve a pernement ban. A ban for a week ok but not a life long ban

I'm happy to look into this for you, but you'll have to give me something to work with, and provide details of the post(s) that earned you the ban.

You would have been PM'd at the time by the moderator who banned you, along with details of the ban.

I had a quick look through your recent posts, I don't see anything about abusive language.

I was wrong. It was for advertising i got banned. Someone was looking for advice on something I knew something about and because I was going to be away from My pc for a few days I put down my phone no. Not a crime meriting life for I think?

I am banned for advertising. My mistake.

• Advertisement

OK ... I gather you are disputing the ban dating from January 19th?

That would be the third ban in one of the Construction & Planning forums over the course of two weeks.
    • First ban (04/01/11) was for a week ... for persistent breaches of forum charter
    • Second ban (16/01/11) was for a month ... for abuse
    • The third ban (19/01/11) was permanent ... for advertising / spamming
    This is consistent, albeit low-tolerance behaviour for the C & P forum. I'm not seeing anything particularly unfair or harsh in this case.

On what grounds are you appealing the permanent ban?

I would concider pernement to be a bit long.

It's normal practice in the C & P forums for third bans to be permanent. There is a low tolerance for messing, and this would apply to three bans in the space of a fortnight.

I've read through your various posts, and discussed the bans & infractions with the C & P mods. I also have oversight of the various PM conversations that have taken place.

There is no support among the mod community for reducing this ban, and you have not yet presented any argument, other than "permanent is too long".

As things stand, I'm not seeing any reason to overrule the mods, or reduce the ban. ... if you have a reason, or any argument, I'm all ears.

The only thing I can say is that the ban for abuse was unjustified because I made some remark about MF Ceilings. To me MF Ceilings is a trade the same as Lime Plastering. Had I called myself Lime Plasterer instead of my real name and if someone said Lime Plaster is sh**t it would not be abuse. Other than that there is not a lot I can say.

The ban for abuse expired yesterday, for the Prices/Costs sub-forum. It's a non-issue.

There's little value in exploring the abuse ban (now lifted) applied to a sub-forum, when you are currently banned from the parent C & P forum, permanently.

So, it's in your best interest to clear up the permanent ban. I thought that's what you wanted.

If you can argue that the permanent ban is unfair, harsh or unwarranted, then we can look at that.

• Advertisement

I think it is unfair but if your rules are that if I get 3 bans within a month I get a pernement ban my thinging it is unfair will not make much difference.

From what I've seen & read, the C & P mods have treated you fairly. You got a fair shake of the stick for each ban, and for the other conversations and interactions you've had with them. I see evidence for each ban that you were advised to read the Charter(s), warned about posts & practices and given the opportunity to toe the line.

The C & P forums have a low tolerance for posters who don't play by the rules. That's the nature of the forums, and that's how the regulars want it.

I understand you are dissapointed, the permanent ban is strict, there's no two ways about it ... but it's fair, and you've given me no reason to overturn it.

Sorry.

So basically I wasted my time on your Dispute Resolution Mechanism

Well, with respect, you haven't given me anything to look at, or work with on your behalf.

You started off with an announcement "I've been banned". You gave me a bum steer with the month long ban for abuse, which expired 2 days after you started the thread, and you have yet to show why you feel the permanent ban is not justified.

5 days into the thread, you have shown no explanation, argument, or acknowledgment of why you've been banned, nor any signs of accepting the norms of the C & P forum, playing by the rules ... or even holding your hand up and saying "sorry ... I got it wrong".

As you are clearly not happy with the original decision, or with me upholding that decision based on what I've seen so far, the next step is for you to invite an Admin to give a final decision.

I started off by saying I was banned which is true. I did not say I was unjustly banned because I accept I should be banned but not for ever. It goes without saying that I was wrong and am sorry. I broke the rules and am prepared to take my punishment but I believe a permanent ban is unjustified.

Is there any point in wasting the admins time on this. Sinnerboy banned me for life, you upheld the decision and I doubt very much the admins will over rule both of you in favour of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

We have in the past overruled mods in favour of the user. I can provide links if you like (I've stored them in the Admin forum because I'm sick of this conspiracy tripe that some users put out there about us always backing one another up). PM me if you want those links.

On to your permanent ban.

You've broken enough rules over time to warrant a permanent ban on that forum. There's not much I can do about that.

However, I would ask you to look at your own behaviour on the forum. If you can see and understand why you were banned and can see how to avoid such mistakes in the future then you have a case for returning to the forum mods to plead your case to be allowed back in:

'Yup, I can see that I wasted your time, I know where I went wrong, my fault. I can only say that if you let me back in I'll try not to break any more rules, no one is perfect but I'll try!'

Permanent bans have been lifted in the past from other forums because of this. My advice is to leave it a while, reflect a bit, then if you are sincere about it, talk it through with the mods by PM. Hopefully you can resolve it that way. If you can't see where you've been at fault in the past then there's no point in pleading your case.

Ban upheld (but hoping you resolve it with the local mods)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement