Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speakers..

Options
  • 13-02-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

If a mix is sounding good in my speakers and headphones but is sounding **** once bounced to my desktop threw the computers speakers do you think i should invest in new speakers at the moment am using m audio av30s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

You need to buy flat monitors for reference if you are mixing yourself for a start. If you don't have proper monitors for reference then forget about it. However, if you have monitors and your mix sounds good in them but not in your computer speakers you simply need to find a happy balance between the two. When i'm mixing i mix firstly through my monitors, then i check the mix on my laptop speakers and then two pairs of headphones. If i get a happy medium between all of them then i take them into a mates car and play them through the speakers in the car as a final test.If they're sounding good on everything else then it just might be that your computer speakers dont have a decent dynamic range. Try the mix out on some other speakers and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Threw headphones grand threw speakers grand laptop speakers..****

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Why are you throwing things?

haha ahhh this is just starting to bug me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Threw headphones grand threw speakers grand laptop speakers..****

Well laptop speakers never sound good do they? If they only problem is that your mixes sound bad through some built-in laptop speakers, don't start worrying about your mixes or monitoring over just that. Laptop speakers don't sound good with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Generally speaking, if you roll of a lot of top and bottom and the mix still sounds good, you're doing well. But laptop speakers these days are either so small there's nothing at all below 300Hz, so you have no chance of hearing bass instruments; or else they have processing that adds false bass but has a scoop in the low mids.

So generally we try to get a mix to sound good on as many different systems as possible, but we have a new exception:e laptop speakers.

So basically:
    1. Arrest the people that sell these things without a sticker that says "useable only for Skype".
    2. If you have a friend with a laptop, buy them a good pair of speakers.

Managed to get a better response from my speakers by getting them up higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

It may well be that your mix doesn't translate well into a, practically, mono format.
    Does it sound good on your monitors/headphones in mono? Does stuff get lost?
    Does anything sound "good" on your laptop speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Paolo_M wrote: »
    Does anything sound "good" on your laptop speakers?
    LOL! Not possible!! :)

Managed to take a line from my laptop into the speakers and the mix sounds grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Michael_Howard

It could possibly have something to do with you throwing them around like your headphones!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

If a mix is sounding good in my speakers and headphones but is sounding **** once bounced to my desktop threw the computers speakers do you think i should invest in new speakers at the moment am using m audio av30s.
    Managed to take a line from my laptop into the speakers and the mix sounds grand.

What exactly are you doing here? When you say bouncing to your desktop. You mean computer desktop or desktop computer?

It should sound the same, sh1te or not I would have thought.

Do we have an AD/DA thing going on here?

just computers desktop using a macbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

It's never going to sound good through the laptop speakers. But you could do a little tweaking listening through the laptop speakers too no?

studiorat wrote: »
    It's never going to sound good through the laptop speakers. But you could do a little tweaking listening through the laptop speakers too no?

Been using garage band to make it sound a bit better through my laptop speakers sounds rather class on proper ones too then.

Advertisement