Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amp to laptop

Options
  • 13-02-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

Im trying to connect my amp to my laptop but im having a bit of trouble. I have a cable that connects from amp to the sound card on the laptop but I cant figure out how to get it working. The amps a vox vauletronix if its any help. It has two connections on the back, line/phone and external speaker out. theres also two ports on my laptop one with headphones symbol and one with microphone.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Edit - Doh!

Oh yeah, the elec guitar needs an amp to make the actual sound sorry, is there a headphone out on the amp (or other) that can go into the sound card on the computer. What software you using, is there an interface or you using a standard sound card. If it is a standard card the one with the mic is the input. Can't imagine it sounding great but it should do. Depending on what programme you are using you need to set the input of one of the tracks to the sound card input. Arm that track for record and then set a suitable volume, not too low, and not clipping. Then record away. You should see the waveform appear as you play.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I want to use the amp for recording. I had the idea that you could record the sound of the guitar through the amp directly on to the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Lucky ! Don't , whatever you do, connect a speaker out to anything but a speaker !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Yes, please don't use the speaker out!

Those Vox amps actually give a very good quality signal on the phones/ line output. Except that it will mute the amps own speaker, which is dumb.

What you need is a TRS jack to jack cable, and get a 3.5mm adaptor for the laptop end. That way you can record from the Vox with it's reverb, chorus and delay in stereo. Connect to the microphone input on the laptop, and hopefully you have the option in the "sound control panel" to change it from "Microphone" to "Line".

Should I be able to hear the guitar through the laptop if its muted if the cneection mutes the amp. Im also using audacity for recording is there anything I need to do in that so the computer recognises the connection.
    sorry im completly new to all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Should I be able to hear the guitar through the laptop if its muted if the cneection mutes the amp. Im also using audacity for recording is there anything I need to do in that so the computer recognises the connection.
    sorry im completly new to all this.

Yes as the other lads said, the headphone connection will mute the amp, not the sound going to the sound card. You should however be able to hear it through the laptop.

I am not familiar with audacity but you need to set the recording input on one of your tracks to that of the soundcard input.

You may need to select the recording device in control panel as well. If you youtube it there should be something that may explain it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

First, DO NOT connect your amps output to your laptop directly. You could seriously damage your equipment if you do so!

IMHO, to get the most from your situation, what you need is a load box/attenuator.

Valve amps sound best with their valves running hot with high gain and high volume (not max, but at the amps "sweet spot"). However, with alot of amps this also equates to enough volume to wake the dead! Essentially what an attenuator will do is take down the output level of your amp so safe levels so that you can output it into a cab (for low volume practicing) or into an audio interface so that you can record the sound of your amp at its "sweet spot" at a safe level and get that perfect tone.

Some Attenuators on thomann

I've read some great reports and review online about the Sequis Motherload Elemental which got a great review on soundonsound. Many studios worldwide use a Palmer PDI-03 which is also supposed to be great, if a little old. (Palmer have since released an updated version but many studios still swear by this one).

There are some videos on youtube that demo both of these products so it might give you an idea of their sound. However, be aware that the users guitar, amp and playing technique are obviously the main meat of the sound so if they haven't set their amp up properly it doens't mean that the product is bad....only the user! :)

Just be aware that some attenuators have speaker simulations in them that can sound amazing, or amazingly bad depending on the model so be careful if you're getting one. I've used a THD hotplate and while it certainly did the job, I noticed a slight reduction on the high end of my amp output. Also, take note of your amp impedance and wattage and make sure to match the attenuator to your amps output.

drumdrum wrote: »
    IMHO, to get the most from your situation, what you need is a load box/attenuator.
    Not necessary for this particular Vox amp. The headphone output is also a line level output with speaker simulation.

I got it working in the end, need to fiddle around with settings to get a decent sound but im getting there. thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

madtheory wrote: »
    Not necessary for this particular Vox amp. The headphone output is also a line level output with speaker simulation.

Hmm.......true! But what if you didn't want the speaker simulation?
    (aaahhhhhhh......ok I'm looking for a point to validate my earlier position....dont hate me! :pac: )

anyways, good point. (Man I wish I had a vox. An Ac30 would be sweeeet! :cool: )

• Advertisement

Well you should get even one of those tiny Vox AD amps. They're great, especially for the money.

Advertisement