Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping hens

Options
  • 13-02-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I've been thinking about getting some hens for ages now and would like to get some in the next month or two. I know nothing really about keeping them and would love some advice about things to consider. I just want them for eggs and as pets really.

Firstly, what kind of housing do they need? I'd like to start with about 4 hens but would like a house that would cope with maybe 10 (if all goes well!) Should I just make one myself or buy one? Any tips for a DIY one? I've read about different areas in the hen house, roosting and nesting areas? Could someone explain these please and what's needed.

Next issue I've been thinking about is foxes. We have plenty of land around the house but lots of foxes too as we are in the middle of nowhere and there's lots of forestry nearby. Would it be possible to let them forage around without fencing or should I fence them into an area?

How expensive are they to keep say on a monthly basis? I understand they need pellets, grit and hay for bedding. Is there any other regular supplies they need?

Do they attract vermin? If I'm careful with food and not overfeeding, will this help to keep vermin away? I have a ridiculous fear of mice and rats so don't want to be feeding the local population!

What's a normal day for hens? When should they be let out of their house and put back in? Late at night or before it gets dark? When do they lay their eggs usually.

Think that's all my questions for now. Apologies for all the stupid questions. Any replies appreciated! :)

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Kept hens when I was younger, my dad did all the setting up though so I'm not sure on what he did. He built the hen house that we had ourselves, and had a wooden bar stretching from one side to the other about two feet off the floor to use as a perch, and two high nesting boxes then. They will lay wherever they can though; some of ours used to lay in the ditches and under hedges. And I wouldn't be too worried about foxes, but be aware of dogs, even neighbours ones however far away they might live. Our first lot of hens were all killed by two dogs that lived nearly a mile away, the second lot by a stray dog, and the third lot our next door neighbours dogs. We never lost a hen to a fox, despite having a couple of visiting foxes to our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1holly1

Thanks shanao that's interesting. We have a dog so i'll have to bear that in mind. Wasn't sure what the perch was for. Keep the info coming!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

If you introduce them to your own fella you should be fine. Our old collie used to herd our lots through the garden, never hurt a single one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

If you have lots of dogs and foxes around then I would probably keep them in a pen if you don't want to have to replace them all. There are many different ways to keep them, and it is totally up to you whether you want to build or buy a setup. Setups that are for sale are usually expensive and only house a small amount of hens. If you are any way handy at all you should build your own. The best thing to do would be go to google and just look up enclosures and coops to give you ideas.

You can let them out in the morning as soon as it is bright. At night, when it starts getting dark they will go into bed by themselves. So you can lock them in them. I never had a problem with them attracting vermin but I have cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

do they wreck your garden? do they eat plants? are they noisy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

If you are keeping them in a pen in the one spot the grass will eventually be go and it will be a mud patch. Not really noisy. They are fond of veg scraps such as cabbage, lettuce etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TonyFella

Hens will learn where you want them to dig and have dust baths you have to be watching them when there out and move them back to where you want them they get it after a while.
    They eat slugs/worms great for the garden mine like potato skins with the rolled oats, layer pellets. You will also need a bag of oyster shells.

If you grow any veg in your garden you will have to block it off because they wont give up trying to eat everything.
    My hens are Rhode Island Reds.You will love your hens they are good crack to watch scratching around looking for food. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

They aren't too loud, cockerals, if you get one, will crow at first light and at times throughout the day. The hens make little noise but if they get a fright they'll start roaring.
    Yes they pick at some plants

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

They aren't too loud, cockerals, if you get one, will crow at first light and at times throughout the day. The hens make little noise but if they get a fright they'll start roaring.
    Yes they pick at some plants

no i wasnt thinking of a cockeral. i know if my neighbour had one, i wouldnt be impressed:p

nah, 3 hens would be the extent of it. but i love my plants and my garden,
    its big enough to give them a bit of space. i will give it some more thought.
    thanks;)

Advertisement