Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What freehub?

Options
  • 13-02-2011 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to get a spare back wheel to use with my turbo trainer (one too many tires has now been eaten by using the same wheel for training and cycling on). My bikes got a 10 speed shimano 105 cassette. I've two questions.

1. Are different hubs compatible with different cassettes (is there some standard theyre build to)? ie. will a 105 10sp cassette fit on any random wheel i pick up? (Was looking at these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42069 but cant tell what difference ED11 or M10 makes).

2. Are different cassettes for a 10sp all evenly spaced for shifting? ie. Can I get one of those wheels above, attach a Campagnolo Veloce 10 Speed Cassette (assuming its compatible with the ED11 freehub), and expect it to work with my 105 deraileur?

Sorry if this stuff should be obvious :)

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

For Mavic wheels:

ED11 = Campagnolo
    M10 = Shimano

Would have to check, but I think the Shimano 10 speed chains are narrower than the Campagnolo equivalent, which would mean the spacing between cogs on the cassette is not the same.

It might work and it might shift, but I can imagine it would shift poorer than a Shimano cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

You need a Shimano hub for a Shim cassette, and likewise for Campag.

A Shim chain and dérailleur will work with a Campag cassette, but it's not ideal. Match them if your budget allows.

Advertisement