Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i want to upgrade my hard drive for my macbook

Options
  • 13-02-2011 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hi folks

im stuck for space on my mac book and im planning on upgrading the HDD. im not very computer savvy but im sure i can manage it. There's just a few questions i want to ask before i purchase a new drive.

-which type of HDD to go for (theres loads!)
    -weather or not, all types will be compatible with my macbook
    -if i should go for a 5400 or a 7200 rpm drive
    -which is the best site to order a drive from

if anyone has any experience of upgrading or advise on what type of drive i should go for id be glad to hear from you!

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

You want a 2.5" SATA drive, with standard height 9.5mm.

Almost every 2.5" drive is this height, but just watch out because some of the very high capacity drives are 12.5mm high and wont fit a standard notebook.

Everything else is up to your preferences, do you want speed? capacity? quiet? what length warranty etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ploki90

thanks for your response.
    speed, capacity, quiet, i want them all! :)
    i would settle for something reliable.
    i just use the laptop for running protools and logic so quiet would be nice and some sessions can get pritty heavy so capacity is important as well.
    have you any suggestions on manufacturers?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

I'm personally a fan of Western Digital hard drives. They appear to have some good models suited for laptop use, under the name WD Scorpio Black.

thanks for your response

yea was looking at the WD scorpio blue on amazon. 500 gig for 45 pound.
    would it work well with the mac, or dose it even matter what kind of computer its put into?

(i really dont know much about computers =/ )

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

ploki90 wrote: »
    thanks for your response

yea was looking at the WD scorpio blue on amazon. 500 gig for 45 pound.
    would it work well with the mac, or dose it even matter what kind of computer its put into?

(i really dont know much about computers =/ )
    Yes, it should be fine. It has the correct dimensions and the correct type of connection. Those are the only factors that I can think of that would matter when choosing something to use the drive with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I upgraded to the western digital 1TB in my 13' mbp, didn't notice any noise of slow down in speed, using 800gb for Osx and the rest for windows 7 on bootcamp. Drive cost me about 90 euro, took less than 10 minutes to fit and easily copied the old drive using super duper.

cheers james

i might just go ahead and order one. hope the change over goes ok.
    would i have to format the new disk (or anything like that) before i install the Mac OS applications?

I upgraded to the western digital 1TB in my 13' mbp, didn't notice any noise of slow down in speed, using 800gb for Osx and the rest for windows 7 on bootcamp. Drive cost me about 90 euro, took less than 10 minutes to fit and easily copied the old drive using super duper.

did it take you long to copy over your old drive? would copying over stuff from the old drive using time machine mean i wouldnt have to re-install protools, or logic or other apps??

hi guys
    i got a new hard drive from amazone. its a western digital sata 500. i went through the rig of changing it over but when i had it in i couldnt get it to work. i went through all the steps of selecting the drive in the utilities but it just wouldnt show up! realy pissed me off :(

is there something im missing?????? do i need to formate the drive or some sh*t??????
    it took alot of courage for me to even take this mission and now that ive failed im f**kin rippin!

please let me know if you have any experience with this kind of think. like i said, im not computer savvy so dont be afraid to dumb it down for me.

thanks

Advertisement