Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About VHI and dependants

Options
  • 13-02-2011 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hey.

Have a question about VHI policy regarding to dependants.
    Who can be my dependant? Let's say, kids and students up to 26 yrs old of age. That's fine. What if it comes to someone who is not really related to you (eg. girlfriend, buddy etc.). Would that be possible to put that person on dependant list so they could use it just in case? How does it work though and who really can be my dependant?

Thanks for any useful tips.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

As long as you're willing to pay for them, you can add anyone you want to your policy.

However, you'll be the named policy holder so all their policy info and claims info (if they go into hospital) will go to you, which might make things awkward if it's not someone you're very close to, like a long term partner or the like. In those kinds of cases, it's easier for everyone if they take up their own cover; it'll cost the same (unless you're in some special group scheme that the general public can't join) and they'll get the same benefits anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 awoloszyn

What does that mean "pay for them"? Does that mean that i am gonna have to pay twice as much? Is adding one dependant (my flatmate in that case - i know him for 5 years) going to bump price up to 100%? Just don't understand any of that to be honest. If You can just get more into details that would be really appreciated.

Thank You

Yes, adding another adult to your policy, on the same level of cover, means paying twice the adult rate. It's proportionally reduced if you add them mid year, but they're not added for free; there is a charge.

Health insurance costs are on a per person basis, so 1 adult on Plan V is €X, 2 adults is twice that, and so on. Children will be at a lower rate, but on the same principle applies (with some exceptions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 awoloszyn

Now, that explains everything. Thank You for response.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Kids are upto 18 with all 3 insurers.

Students up to 21 with Quinn & VHI and 23 with Aviva (under that age on the day that plan is taken out).

All 3 insurers have different pricing strategy for children and students.

for example , vhi could charge for the first 3, quinn keep charging, Aviva charge the levy only for 4th and subsequent student or child. Check hia site for each plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Merson

Not entirely sure that the above advice is exactly independent.

Assuming you mean broker2008's post, it's spot on as far as I can tell. What part do you question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Merson

It is inaccurate with regards to student ages as there are plans that cover students up to 22 within Vhi.

Didn't know that. What plans are the under-23 student rates on?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

4 plans out of VHI's 61 plans where Aviva give student rates on all their 120+ plans.

PS: VHI are NOT the cheapest for individuals, families or couples.

• Advertisement
Advertisement