Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Focus mares ax3

Options
  • 13-02-2011 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting this for general commuting and maybe week long touring in the summer, any opinions on this or focus bikes in general would be appriciated, thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

it would deffinatley tick all my boxes for a decent commuter weekend spinner.I cannot however comment on focus bikes as i have no experience with them,how much is it retailing for i cannot see a price

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Focus bikes are good, I've owned a Mares cyclocross bike and a Cayo road bike.

But...

Head tube on the AX3 looks quite short, not ideal for commuting and touring.

It has an alloy fork rather than carbon, which won't give the best ride quality if you run skinny tyres.

The way the brakes are set up means you might suffer from brake judder, and I'm personally not a fan of mini-Vs.

No rack mounts on the front; can't really tell on the rear.

Are you sure you want a cyclocross bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

I bought a Focus CX3 recently as a winter training bike with a view to doing a few cross races nest season. I love it! The only thing I had to change (apart from the tyres) was the stem which was very short (95mm) as standard. I'm 5'11" and bought a "Large" size which I find really comfortable!
    Talk to Richie Byrne in Eurocycles on the Long Mile - he'll do you a great deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I'd be inclined to agree with Lumen on the head tube/brakes/alloy fork end of things. An alloy cross fork could potentially be an instrument of torture I reckon.
    Bike does not scream good value at 699 sterling from wiggle either. Cross tyres no good for either of your jobs imo-50 euros to replace them (ish).

A normal road bike is grand for commuting. As for touring-it depends. You can go a long way on a road bike with the right gear.Ask Blorg.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67194913
    Or one of Gearoid Pierse's shorter trips
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/M2M

If its loaded touring you are planning on you need a different animal entirely though.
    In your shoes I'd be looking for a road bike and a reasonably upright position.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The frame I used for that trip is sold as both a touring and cross frame! If you are specifically looking for a bike to tour, dont get a road bike. I have done light fast tours on one but it is not optimal for general touring. IMO a cross bike could be good, if the price is right, and it has the right holes for rack and guards. I dont use front bags myself. The fork may be an issue but I doubt you would notice with wide tires. You DO need slicks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Thanks all for your replie, plenty of food for thought
    blorg wrote: »
    The frame I used for that trip is sold as both a touring and cross frame! If you are specifically looking for a bike to tour, dont get a road bike. I have done light fast tours on one but it is not optimal for general touring. IMO a cross bike could be good, if the price is right, and it has the right holes for rack and guards. I dont use front bags myself. The fork may be an issue but I doubt you would notice with wide tires. You DO need slicks
    That is basically the advice i was getting, salesman not pushing me to far in the wrong direction, as if he would ;-). Looking for something for some light touring bit still a bit more nippy than a tourer for everyday spins, trying to get the best of both worlds. I know, hard to please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

blorg wrote: »
    The frame I used for that trip is sold as both a touring and cross frame!

Sorry to mislead. Was confusing your trip to Istanbul trip with Gearoid Pierse's spin the other way.
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=RrzKj&page_id=70621&v=Uo

Theres a thin line between something being the best of both worlds and it being neither this nor that.

@blorg.You're still my hero even if you used a sissy touring bike.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭thekidd147

cyclocross bikes are perfect for irish roads and the front forks remove a lot of vibration. I have the focus ax2 and love it, i used it for the cross season and also as a winter trainer on the road and it is very comfortable. Focus make great value bikes as i also have the cayo for racing and touring. You may consider buying a 10 speed as i`m sure it won`t be yourè last bike but you can not go wrong with a focus...

Advertisement