Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thee Bucket

Options
  • 13-02-2011 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I lived in a corporation house in Dublin long ago and if you wanted to go to the toilet out the back you had to go,
    see thats the way they built it I don,t know who,s ideas but it was terrible in the winter your bloody arse would freeze.
    but worst of all was when in bed ye know you,d be really burstin and I,d say Da I have to go to the lav,then he,d get up cursin
    because he ,d have to bring you down the stairs and he,d be given out as you go
    Then one night he got a great idea,we,ll have to buy a PO
    But me Ma she didnt agree with that,that would,nt do at all theres to many in our family A Po would be to small
    Well me Da said something will have to be done and me Ma said hold on looket,if a Po won,t do the job for us then why not get a bucket
    So the bucket it was bought next dayand amid a load of cheers we christened it Mrs Murphy and brought it up the stairs
    and it became part of our family just like the dog or cat and everynight we use to bring it in and place it on the mat
    So as we grew through childhood it served our everyneeds and where we use to empty it out the back it killed off all the weeds
    but there was this night I remember me eldest sister now you see was going with this new boyfriend and she asked him in for tea.
    and the youngest ones were sent to bed as me Ma got out the cups,but in the midst of all the confusion no one brought the bucket up.
    then sitting down to tea and cakes and everything was nice,when rather unexpectedly we heard a distance voice
    MA,Ma we heard the call the buckets not up here,well me mother nearly fell off the chair and me sisters face turned queer
    Me Father he ran out the back to see what he could do,he had to get the bucket up but he could,nt bring it through
    and we had to think of something fast ,there really was a rush and then he said I have quick get me out the brush.
    I,ll put it on the brush like this,and if you put out your hand ye can pull it through the window and everything will be grand
    The plan was working perfectly just like me Father said but I missed the brush and the bucket slipped and it landed on his head.
    well the boyfriend he went home that night we never heard of him no more,I guess his meeting with Mrs Murphy made him stay in Terenure

Advertisement