Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD or HDD for home folder?

Options
  • 12-02-2011 9:06pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

I now have my 27" iMac, with SSD and HDD.

Depending on what you read, some people seem to think that it's better to put the entire home directory on the HDD. Others say to just put the iTunes library, and other big stuff on the HDD.

What way are any of you with the dual drive setup doing it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Applications folder, Library folder, Desktop folder, etc should definitely be on the SSD. After that it really depends on whether you have enough space for the rest.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

So you'd recommend leaving the home folder as /Users/RedAlert rather than migrating it lock stock & barell to /Volumes/Macintosh HD 2/Users/RedAlert?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Fill up that ssd with things that you will use most often and that will get the most benefit out of being on the ssd.

My home folder is 150gb so depending on the size of your folder and ssd you may not be able to get it all on.

Just make sure it boots of the ssd. Thats the most important part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Is anyone noticing a dramatic increase while using an SSD?

OP - Are you currently using one / have you got one now?

I can't see the value of it (based on machines I have used).
    At the end of the day I guess it depends on what you are using the machine for.

I'd be interested in some stats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

My MBP has a 120GB SSD. I've noticed a huge difference compared to my previous 7200rpm HD. I notice it most when opening apps or booting the machine. It takes about 5 seconds to fully boot up and every program opens instantly (itunes, word, protools, final cut). I've noticed that any system scans are at least twice as fast like virus scans or a repair permissions scan. It really is like night and day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement