Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do YOU think?

Options
  • 12-02-2011 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Just watching somethin on Channel4+1 about prisoners being allowed to have a vote in the UK.

Personally I dont think its such a bad thing. We all have to live here after all, regardless if we're in prison or not. However after watchin the 5 minute piece, the presenter has made it clear that he thinks its disgusting and horrendus how prisoners are allowed to have a vote. What do you think?

http://www.channel4.com/news/convicted-prisoners-to-get-vote

[The above link is not the piece that was just shown on channel4 a few min ago... Just another link I found - Too hungover to look for the actual one]

Should prisoners be allowed to vote? 44 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 44 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Feck them, they gave up that right when they did someting to earn a visit to the clinker.

(obviously not counting people who stoopidly got locked up for non crime related stuff, non payment of TV licence etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

About teaser thread titles?

They're shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Its the same story here, prisoners can vote by postal vote. Its somewhat anomolous IMO, as the point of prison is the suspension of certain constitutional rights, not the enhancement of such rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Is there any data on what percentage of prisoners choose to vote?

I'm guessing it would be a very low number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

fend wrote: »
    Just watching somethin on Channel4+1 about prisoners being allowed to have a vote in the UK.

Personally I dont think its such a bad thing. We all have to live here after all, regardless if we're in prison or not. However after watchin the 5 minute piece, the presenter has made it clear that he thinks its disgusting and horrendus how prisoners are allowed to have a vote. What do you think?

http://www.channel4.com/news/convicted-prisoners-to-get-vote

[The above link is not the piece that was just shown on channel4 a few min ago... Just another link I found - Too hungover to look for the actual one]

The presenter is the cockbag from the UKIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

What is the question?

Should prisoners be allowed to vote in the UK?
    Should UK prisoners be allowed to vote?
    Should UK prisoners be allowed to vote in the UK?
    Should prisoners be allowed to vote in Ireland?
    Should UK prisoners be allowed to vote in Ireland?

Ask something specific, or wait until you're sober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The British parliament according to some news reports , have told the euro bullys to stick that plan allowing prisoner's to vote were the sun dont shine and I agree .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I think they should be allowed to vote. They might be in prison for something that might be changed with their votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Considering how central the right to vote is to any (democratic) western nation I'd say yes, by all means.

Having the right to vote is important and there's a big difference between somebody doing time for having no tv licence to somebody in for murder .But the victims of serious crime and their familys , who over and over again see their rights for proper sentence melted out come second place to the rights of prisoner's , might say it's another liberty to far and in most cases , I'll side with the victims and their familys rights over the convicted prisoners .I suppose the middle ground might be to let them vote on some things but not others .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Latchy wrote: »
    I suppose the middle ground might be to let them vote on some things but not others .

Way, way too open to abuse.

By the way, what exactly do you mean by "their familys rights"? It's a concept that's often alluded to in these discussions but never defined.

By the way, what exactly do you mean by "their familys rights"? It's a concept that's often alluded to in these discussions but never defined.
    'Family rights ' as in the case say of a victim who's is raped and murdered who's family then see's the accused caught but get a soft sentence ,way to leinent to the crime ,who may still pose a threat to them .

How many times do you see somebody released on parole or after finish of sentence who then goes on to or attempts to murder somebody , maybe the wife girlfriend or relative ? .

That Moat guy springs to mind but more recently several other people of late in UK who asked for police protection only to be found dead ' After ' the person they feel threatened by or afraid of is released .

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

...but more recently several other people of late in UK who asked for police protection only to be found dead...

References, sources, links please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Considering voting can be leathal there should be a course, a test and a license to vote for everyone. If they pass - yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Going to Prison should automatically deny you any say in the country you reside. If you are convicted of breaking it's laws you should forfeit the right in the making of them until you are free again.

Like not being able to vote on the Polls here when you are banned. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tonysea

They should be allowed to vote, theres thousands of criminals that have the right to vote....they just havent been caught.

KM88 wrote: »
    References, sources, links please?

Gary Newlove the man from Warrington who was kicked to death by some savage who had only being released on parole day before for similar attack ( look it up on google ) . On 'parole release crime ' ,you read or hear on news about one horror show until the next one comes along ( filed away in memory, not always to hand )

below are example of my point about people on parole committing another similar crime

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1081841/Criminals-probation-committed-120-murders-years.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1225521/Parole-killer-raped-woman-enact-murder-committed-22-years-ago.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nothing stopping prisoners from being MP's, so why shouldn't prisoners get to vote for MP's?

Kasabian wrote: »
    Going to Prison should automatically deny you any say in the country you reside. If you are convicted of breaking it's laws you should forfeit the right in the making of them until you are free again.
    Yep ,until your a free man ,like yorkshire ripper Peter Sutcliffe or moors murderer Ian Brady should not be denied the right to vote on the subject of say...Euthanasia. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

right now i'm thinking...

"bollockes this sh¡tter doesnt seem to have any bog roll"

but a few moments later... i noticed all i had to do was reach up that holder and roll it out.

• Advertisement

right now i'm thinking...

"bollockes this sh¡tter doesnt seem to have any bog roll"

but a few moments later... i noticed all i had to do was reach up that holder and roll it out.
    One thing you are never short of in the Lock up ....bog roll .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Rothmans wrote: »
    Its the same story here, prisoners can vote by postal vote. Its somewhat anomolous IMO, as the point of prison is the suspension of certain constitutional rights, not the enhancement of such rights.

So prisoners who got where they are by their own actions can vote, but the thousands who had to emigrate because of the actions of those in power can not? I give up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

syklops wrote: »
    So prisoners who got where they are by their own actions can vote, but the thousands who had to emigrate because of the actions of those in power can not? I give up.

Anyone who emigrates gets there by their own actions and choices as well, with a little help from a plane driver maybe. They are also opting out of paying taxes as well so why should people who don't live in a country get to vote in it.

Prisoners, whilst maybe not contributing a whole lot to the income tax coffers, are at least in the same country still, and will be spending their benefits, wages, ill gotten gains in the country at some point so at least contributing in some minor way.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think they should be allowed to vote. They might be in prison for something that might be changed with their votes.

Like crime being legalised? Bolloxs. Even so, if it was against the law when you did it, tough. Prisoners have a huge amount of things they shouldnt. We should be talking about what material things they shouldnt have not things like the vote. It shouldnt even come in to it.

Considering how central the right to vote is to any (democratic) western nation I'd say yes, by all means.

It's centra; to law abiding citizens. When you are locked up you shoudl lose as many rights as possible and centainly one like voting. As it is we are just about restricting their freedom, but the longer it goes the less and less being in prison is wprse than being on the outside. It's nearly at the stage where its just a minor inconvenience.

Having the right to vote is important and there's a big difference between somebody doing time for having no tv licence to somebody in for murder .

What percentage of people are in prison for not having a TV Licence? my guess its somewhere between -1 and 0, with a 1% margin for error. Disregarding court orders and such to pay fines or whatever is not the same as going to jail for not having a tv licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

fend wrote: »
    What do YOU think?

I think prisoners should have the vote but people who start threads on boards with vague subject titles on the other hand.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

No, if they're in prison they should forfeit that right. If they're not responsible enough to live in society, then they don't deserve a say in how it is run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

While there are obviously many, many people in prisons for good reason who may morally and legally deserve their exclusion from society while they're there, a systematic denial of a fundamental right won't help any of the prison population to be more included in society and will further hamper the the efforts of any to rehabilitate themselves. Prison (and all other forms of legal sanction) is supposed to divert/deter people from further criminal behaviour and/or rehabilitate them, not just punish-and-forget and be pushed further away from society. So yes, they should have the right to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

While there are obviously many, many people in prisons for good reason who may morally and legally deserve their exclusion from society while they're there, a systematic denial of a fundamental right won't help any of the prison population to be more included in society .

It might be another thign to think about when deciding on choices that could lead to prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

robinph wrote: »
    Anyone who emigrates gets there by their own actions and choices as well, with a little help from a plane driver maybe. They are also opting out of paying taxes as well so why should people who don't live in a country get to vote in it.

Utter bollocks. Why should people who dont live in a country get to vote? Because we would like to come back some day. As for your 'opting out of paying tax', I was home on holiday a few weeks ago and spent a small fortune in shops pubs and on transport.
    robinph wrote: »
    Prisoners, whilst maybe not contributing a whole lot to the income tax coffers, are at least in the same country still, and will be spending their benefits, wages, ill gotten gains in the country at some point so at least contributing in some minor way.

More utter drivel. I worked for nearly 10 years in Ireland before moving. The last 2 years before I left I paid over 1000 euros a month on tax alone. Now, I save as much money as I can so I can go home a few times a year. I dont cost the state a penney, and contribute by paying the tourist tax on my flights.

• Advertisement

^ Your a tourist to Ireland now, and I'm sure they are glad of you spending that money you earned abroad back in Ireland. Should we be giving anyone who happens to be visiting when the election is on a vote?

Advertisement