Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to phrase this question in Irish?

Options
  • 12-02-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Im writing an essay on education and one of my topics im going to discuss is "How can doing badly in the Leaving Cert. affect the rest of your life?"

How can i phrase this properly in irish?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Can you write out the whole paragraph as you would write it in English? It's difficult to do a proper translation of that phrase without knowing how you are planning to lead into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Can you write out the whole paragraph as you would write it in English? It's difficult to do a proper translation of that phrase without knowing how you are planning to lead into it.

I havn't wrote it yet. I was just using that as the start of a paragraph but if it helps i was going to write about how doing badly can lead to problems associated with unemployment such as substance abuse and crime. Just generally how its important to do well because it will help you in later life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

My grammar is ****e, but something like this.

Conas gur féidir ag éirí san Ardtéist go dona, do shaol a athrú go deo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I havn't wrote it yet. I was just using that as the start of a paragraph but if it helps i was going to write about how doing badly can lead to problems associated with unemployment such as substance abuse and crime. Just generally how its important to do well because it will help you in later life.

The same old cliché they've been teaching for years then! :D Right, here's my effort at it:

"Conas gur féidir le droch-thorthaí san Ardteist tionchar a dhéanamh ar an saol?"

Avoid Google translations at all costs. They tend to come up with stuff that reads nothing like it should in Irish syntax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

tionchar, focal úsáideach é sin! grma :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Im writing an essay on education and one of my topics im going to discuss is "How can doing badly in the Leaving Cert. affect the rest of your life?"

How can i phrase this properly in irish?

There's a few ways that you could phrase it, but here's my suggestion. Be wary of overtly direct translations, as they often don't make good Irish.

Cén tionchar a bheadh ag drochthorthaí san Ardteist ar an gcuid eile de do shaol?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

Aontaím le Gael (I agree with Gael)... Sin é an bealach is fearr len é a aistriú.

Advertisement