Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back wheel issues with new Turbo

Options
  • 12-02-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi

I was just talkin to the guys this morning on the way to Sally Gap about my sich.

I got a turbo for Christmas, but the [road] bike up on it, and after a couple of sessions, went to pump the wheels, and had a blowout on the back one.

Should I use a differenr wheel/tyre combo for the turbo sessions?

Cheers

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You need to use a trainer tyre when on the turbo. Normal tyres overheat, significantly shortening their life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Most definitely.
    Turbos eat most tyres. They can lead to a lot of rubber burn when using a traditional road tyre.

You can get a hard compound rubber turbo tyre. Cheaper in the long run than continually replacing blowouts.

I have used a Schwalbe Ultremo in the past whilst on a turbo and have smelt burning rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 andyoc

Thanx guys, and what about a wheel?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Normal wheel will do, but getting the turbo tyre on is a nightmare - it would be a lot easier keeping a spare wheel for the turbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Beasty wrote: »
    You need to use a trainer tyre when on the turbo. Normal tyres overheat, significantly shortening their life

No, you don't 'need' to spend yet more money on a special tyre. Go into any bike shop and ask them for old tyres they have replaced. Most will be glad to give them to you. Or you will inevitably end up with old tyres yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement