Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does my dog need to see a vet?

Options
  • 12-02-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

my dog has had a dodgy stomach the last few days, has gone off his food, is vomiting & has fairly bad diarrohea.
    My vet doesnt open at the weekends, should i find another one that is or should i just wait & see if theres any improvement? he does seem a little bit perkier today (he's just been lyin around / sleeping the last few days) and i think i might just feed him little bits of chicken throughout the day. am i right to wait or should i bring him to the vet asap?
    he's an 18month old cavalier cross

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest, yes, i would try find a vet. The problem when you have vomitting and diarrhoea together is that you run the risk of the dog getting dehydrated which can be very harmful for your dog and can make them very very ill and they can go downhill very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkdaisy

yes you should bring your dog to a vet as he may be very dehydrated after a few days of vomiting and diarrhoea. I wouldn't feed him either if he's vomiting. make sure there's water available and if you see blood in either the vomit or the diarrhoea bring him to a vet immediately, but I would go anyway. There is an emergency service for south dublin vet practices at UCD vet hospital, but you should be able to find a vet on call at the weekend wherever you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 alison_q

i couldnt find a vet that opened past 4 on a sat but there's one that opens on sunday so i'll bring him to that one. he hasnt gotten sick so far today so i gave him a bit of chicken and now he's up playing with his toys so hopefully he's on the mend.
    he's also drinking his usual amount of water & there's been no sign of blood. i'll be keeping a close eye on him anyway and if there's no sign of improvement then i'll definitely bring him first thing tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭no1girliegirl

How's your dog today, did you bring him to the vet??

Has he got his vaccinations?? By sounds of it, It could be Parvo virus and if it is he must see a vet ASAP.

yep, he has all his vaccinations...
    brought him to the vet this morning and she's keeping him in overnight. she said he's dehydrated & has lost a bit of weight so she has him on a drip.

if theres no improvement by tomorrow then she's going to xray him to make sure that there's no blockage.

hopefully he'll be fine tomorrow, i'm missing him loads already :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:( Aww I hope he feels better soon. It's terrible when you have to leave them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'm sorry, I know I'm going to offend you, but this is why it is so important to get your dog to a vet and not ask for advice on an internet forum. That dog should have been at the vet last week.

there's no need to make me feel worse over it. its not uncommon for him to go off his food.
    if i had thought that is was more serious i would certainly have brought him straight away but i wasnt sure so thats why i asked here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

alison_q wrote: »
    there's no need to make me feel worse over it. its not uncommon for him to go off his food.
    if i had thought that is was more serious i would certainly have brought him straight away but i wasnt sure so thats why i asked here.

You said it went on for a few days last week, before the weekend. Then on Saturday you said you'd take the dog on Sunday, but you didn't, you waited until Monday.

While a lot of people on here have fantastic knowledge, I really wouldn't put your dog's health at risk again by relying on advice from an internet forum. Although actually, the people that did reply to you told you to take the dog to a vet, but you still waited:confused:

Anyway, I'm sure you won't wait next time, hopefully there won't be a next time. I hope he's okay and gets better soon.

look im not here to argue, i was only looking for advice. i had planned to take him sunday but the only vets i could find open were in blanchardstown & clontarf (across the city from me) i organised a lift and subsequently got let down.

he had gone off his food on thurs n got sick on fri once or twice, it was only sat it got bad n he seemed to improve by sunday. it wasnt like i was watching him constantly get sick and he was still running around and playing. but yes, i do wish i hadnt delayed - i made a mistake but i definitely wont make it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

How is your dog today? I really hope that he, and you, are feeling much better:)

thanks shazanne! he's home now (thank god) and is in good form.
    he's on anti biotics & special food. ive to just keep a close eye on him & if he gets sick again i have to bring him back down asap

Advertisement