Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you buy music and films?

Options
  • 12-02-2011 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Why do you buy music and films when you can it for free and perfectly legal? I will never buy a music cd, a film or a newspaper again in my life. I want it all for free.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You're sockin' it to the man, OP - kudos. We grown-ups need at least one of these threads a week to remind us of the error of our bourgeois, corporate whore ways...

"Don't trust anyone over 30!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

whiteonion wrote: »
    Why do you buy music and films when you can it for free and perfectly legal? I will never buy a music cd, a film or a newspaper again in my life. I want it all for free.

Hmmm? I think not

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

where can you legally download free movies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

krudler wrote: »
    where can you legally download free movies?

http://www.voddler.com/ You can use Spotify or Grooveshark for your free music. I prefer things that are free over having to pay for them.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    You're sockin' it to the man, OP - kudos. We grown-ups need at least one of these threads a week to remind us of the error of our bourgeois, corporate whore ways...

"Don't trust anyone over 30!"

You can waste your money in any way you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

I'm a bit of materialist, I like owning actual things. With music, most of the artists I like aren't exactly selling in the millions, so I like to think I'm contributing to keeping some of the non-corporate guys with actual talent afloat. I like being able to go through the artwork. I watch some movies etc online but the quality isn't always the greatest, and if you have a good telly there's no point in watching some grainy crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Someone close this thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

This is one thing I never quite understood. Why buy CDs when all the music is the world is available to steal? The answer is simple really- I'm a collector. Always have been. I've got hundreds of CDs, and would never part with them... Even the sh1t ones. Don't get me wrong, I do occasionally download (not very often at all though), but it's only to spin a new album untill I go out and buy it.

Say, for the craic, that your favourite band is doing a signing in a record store. What are you going to bring down to get signed? "I love your stuff. You're my all time favourite band! Would you please sign my ipod, as I downloaded all your stuff because I could."

I often see poeple selling their entire CD collection online, saying that they've tranferred all their stuff onto their computer, so they no longer need the hard copies. Always makes me think it's a risky move. I that computer screws up, then you've lost it all.

I can't see any logic behind paying for things that you can get free legally. Since the downturn people should be more frugal but no, people just want to throw money away left, right and centre. No wonder Ireland is going down the toilet.

• Advertisement

deathrider wrote: »
    This is one thing I never quite understood. Why buy CDs when all the music is the world is available to steal? The answer is simple really- I'm a collector. Always have been. I've got hundreds of CDs, and would never part with them... Even the sh1t ones. Don't get me wrong, I do occasionally download (not very often at all though), but it's only to spin a new album untill I go out and buy it.

Say, for the craic, that your favourite band is doing a signing in a record store. What are you going to bring down to get signed? "I love your stuff. You're my all time favourite band! Would you please sign my ipod, as I downloaded all your stuff because I could."

I often see poeple selling their entire CD collection online, saying that they've tranferred all their stuff onto their computer, so they no longer need the hard copies. Always makes me think it's a risky move. I that computer screws up, then you've lost it all.

Downloading pirate copies is buy definition not theft. It's called copyright infringement. You are making a COPY. You don't STEAL anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Someone close this thread please.

I know a Mod who'll do it for free ...

I can't see any logic behind paying for things that you can get free legally. Since the downturn people should be more frugal but no, people just want to throw money away left, right and centre. No wonder Ireland is going down the toilet.

It's a luxery. People might spent it on nights out at the weekend, a pizza delivered to their door, or maybe even... wait for it... a CD of their favourite band.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't buy movies and music because I don't care much for the arts these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

sure why pay for anything? if its a choice between a downloaded cam of a new movie or getting a blu-ray with the best possible picture and sound I know what I'm paying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I don't think paying for music or movies has exactly contributed to Ireland's downfall.

Downloading pirate copies is buy definition not theft. It's called copyright infringement. You are making a COPY. You don't STEAL anything.

If that's all you got from my post, then I seriously think that I'm wasting my time trying to answer your original question of why people buy such things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

You can sugarcoat it all you want, it's still a theft of intellectual property, no matter how you want to word it.

i will admit to occasionally file-sharing or downloading a pirated music track, but i don't try to justify it with an "it's not really stealing!" or a "screw the big companies!" attitude.

it's pretty arrogant to scorn people for not downloading. maybe people just like the idea of having a row of albums on their shelf? or DVD's or books, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Illegal talk not allowed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement