Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early retirement in hospitals

Options
  • 12-02-2011 11:04am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭

I heard last week that hospitals are refilling the positions that peiple took early retirement from. Wasn't the whole point of getting rid of them to reduce the numbers and reduce the wage bill? The jobs aren't been publicly advertised, they are in house promotions. Makes my blood boil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Source?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A nurse. I'm sure other nurses and doctors on here have heard the same. I could name the positions and the hospital, but I don't want to get in trouble. I can pm it to you if you don't believe me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

beertons wrote: »
    I heard last week that hospitals are refilling the positions that peiple took early retirement from. Wasn't the whole point of getting rid of them to reduce the numbers and reduce the wage bill? The jobs aren't been publicly advertised, they are in house promotions. Makes my blood boil.

If they are in house promotions I don't see what the problem is? The total headcount has been reduced and won't be increasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

If they are in house promotions I don't see what the problem is? The total headcount has been reduced and won't be increasing.

Would it not leave the frontline workers down in numbers as they promote upwards.

Come on now, of course that's not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

People retire. junior staff promoted into vacancies.
    Whats the problem? isn't that how its meant to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

Kasabian wrote: »
    Would it not leave the frontline workers down in numbers as they promote upwards.

No because doctors and nurses don't really get promoted away from the frontline. It was likely an admin/management promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If its true, and we're only going on the OP's hearsay its probably the case that the position is being refilled without promotion.. Its happening all over, people are moved sideways and not upwards to promotions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

beertons wrote: »

The are refilling positions from staff already employed, not hiring. what is the problem. The are paying them already. I really don't understand your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

hondasam wrote: »
    The are refilling positions from staff already employed, not hiring. what is the problem. The are paying them already. I really don't understand your post.

well you half explained it there.

• Advertisement

I only know of assistants to directors and ceo's being replaced. They aren't exactly front line. And why they need 2 assistants is beyond me. Waste of a wage of €130k if you ask me, when they can't afford to take on nurses to man the closed wards. I've nothing against the nurses or doctors here lads and lassies, couldn't speak highly enough of them.

Advertisement