Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CS350 - Bell Tamper whilst "Low Battery"

Options
  • 12-02-2011 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

Had a good search thru but couldn't find anything definitive on this so hope someone can help.

We have a CS350 and the "Low Battery" warning came up Thurs evening. Didn't get a chance to buy one yet and alarm set fine Thurs night and Friday daytime. Last night (always middle of night) the alarm went off at 3:30 and had a "Bell Tamper" alarm - putting in my code only stopped the internal bell but external kept going, I opened the panel and took out the battery and Thankfully that stopped it.

I am going to get a battery today but wondering is it strong coincidence that this happened whilst low battery was there or would it be directly related to the low battery condition? I didn't disconnect power - just the battery so this makes me think it may have been battery related??

I have intended to get a new external bell anyway as I want more prominent led's as current external bell would be 13 years old; maybe I need to get this done now? We have phonewatch too but I run both alarms.

I would have thought too that the bell would have its own battery and was very relieved it stopped when I took out the panel battery:)

Also - anyone know if there is an engineer command to turn off the external bell if this happens again? I have eng code - nabbed installer lad one day when he was at a neighbours; cost me €50!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any help.
    Paddy

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi Paddy ,
    Yes it sounds like the battery was drawing down the system. Replacing it should solve your problems. There is no way to turn the SABB off from the panel. To totally disable it it needs to be physically disconnected from the panel & let it run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

The reason it stopped is because the battery in the external bell is gone dead.
    External bell tamper is the tamper in the external bell, it could be because the bell has moved, loose cover, cable corrosion or the cable in the control panel itself. Replacing the battery in the panel plus the external bell should stop this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Thanks All,

Have swapped in new battery now and will hope that solves. It was just "Bell Tamper" that was on display - no reference to external bell. Have taken pics of board and will look at all the pin outs etc and see what way it is all wired.

Gonna replace the external bell too,

By chance could it be anything on the internal bell - do they have a battery too? Its above hot press door where panel is and thats the one that scares the bejayzus out of us and kids:eek: - it turned off immediately last night when I disarmed.

Thanks again,

Paddy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its the external bell. Thats the only one than could ring on its own in that situation.
    I'd be confident enough it will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks All,

Have swapped in new battery now and will hope that solves. It was just "Bell Tamper" that was on display - no reference to external bell. Have taken pics of board and will look at all the pin outs etc and see what way it is all wired.

Gonna replace the external bell too,

By chance could it be anything on the internal bell - do they have a battery too? Its above hot press door where panel is and thats the one that scares the bejayzus out of us and kids:eek: - it turned off immediately last night when I disarmed.

Thanks again,

Paddy

Yes, bell tamper would be in reference to the external bell. If the internal bell was tampered is in series with the external bell tamper then it would still show bell tamper for the tamper of either one. As I said the external bell tamper is the tamper in the external bell, it could be because the bell has moved, the bell cover has come loose, cable corrosion or the cable for the bell tamper in the control panel itself has come loose. If you still have this issue I would check the tamper circuit before buying the external bell.

• Advertisement

I opened the panel and took out the battery and Thankfully that stopped it.

I didn't disconnect power - just the battery

Taking this into account I would doubt it a wiring problem. I would say the low battery was bringing down the power in the panel. This in turn would cause the external bell to activate on its own battery.
    When the panel battery was removed the panel power output returned to normal causing the self activated bell to stop.;)

Advertisement