Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else read Michael Connelly's 'The Reversal'?

Options
  • 12-02-2011 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I'm a long-time fan of Michael Connelly. But I just finished reading 'The Reversal' and I'm bitterly disappointed. :( I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just say it's the ending I'm unhappy about. I mean, it was so incomplete. I feel robbed. Anyone else read it? If so, please share what you thought.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

I bought it last August, and read it in September. I had to go back to the Amazon page to remind myself what it was about. It clearly left no lasting impression at all. I don't have my copy of the book now, and I cannot even remember the ending. I found the basic plot implausible, which is a bad start.

I've read all Connelly's books, and I reckon the ratio of duds or semi-duds to crackers is increasing. The Reversal is considerably better than The Overlook and a bit better than Nine Dragons, but it's far from the best.

I'll keep trying, though, and I'm hoping that The Fifth Witness will be a return to form. It seems to me that he's just writing too many books. A new book every six months is overdoing it. One per year is surely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

Thanks nompere. Yes I agree it was implausible which is a shame because the Harry Bosch character was so great and so real I feel Connelly has destroyed him now.

And yes, I agree, the duds are increasing.

In retrospect, the book had no substance really. I hated Nine Dragons even more - that drove me nuts for some reason. I couldn't put my finger on why it annoyed me so much but something about the big American hero arriving in China to save the day irritated me no end.

Not holding out much hope really for The Fifth Witness but no doubt I'll buy it and read it still, lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I must say that no matter how bad it is, I will still end up liking any Michael Connelly book anyway!

I can't remember what happened in "The Reversal" so that's not good. I'll have to read it again.

They have made "The Lincoln Lawyer" into a movie and I'm afraid that it won't be what I expect it to be. I actually don't what the characters to be altered in my mind.

I really do not want Harry Bosch to be made into a movie character. I want the image I have of him to stay as it is.

I will buy "The Fifth Witness" though as I'm looking forward to reading it...and to keep saying that I have the whole collection! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I thought it was a pretty par-for-the-course Haller book. Haller working for the prosecution felt a bit contrived. I'll still end up buying every book he writes, but the more recent ones really aren't a patch on earlier books like Angels Flight etc.
    mars bar wrote: »
    I really do not want Harry Bosch to be made into a movie character.

Watching Clint Eastwood ham it up in Bloodwork has really put me off the idea of a Bosch film. Lincoln Lawyer can't be any worse, but I think they'd butcher a Bosch film. I can just imagine the maverick alcoholic cop having 24 hours to crack the case before his captain has his badge.

Eoin wrote: »
    I thought it was a pretty par-for-the-course Haller book. Haller working for the prosecution felt a bit contrived. I'll still end up buying every book he writes, but the more recent ones really aren't a patch on earlier books like Angels Flight etc.

Watching Clint Eastwood ham it up in Bloodwork has really put me off the idea of a Bosch film. Lincoln Lawyer can't be any worse, but I think they'd butcher a Bosch film. I can just imagine the maverick alcoholic cop having 24 hours to crack the case before his captain has his badge.

Bloodwork was made into a movie?! I did not know that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It's really, really bad. The ending totally changed - if you've read the sequel, the film is actually referenced in the book! I hated the film so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Bloodwork was made into a movie?! I did not know that!

Don't do it, its shocking...i'd say more but you're still gonna watch it and I don't want to ruin the utter shockingness of it

They have made "The Lincoln Lawyer" into a movie and I'm afraid that it won't be what I expect it to be. I actually don't what the characters to be altered in my mind.

I saw it. It's superb. The best movie to book adaptation I've ever seen. You won't be disappointed.
    Eoin wrote: »
    Watching Clint Eastwood ham it up in Bloodwork has really put me off the idea of a Bosch film.

I totally agree! It was brutal. My jaw dropped when I realised that Clint Eastwood was actually playing the role of Terry McCaleb - a man in his mid to late 40s. It was utterly ridiculous. Then my jaw dropped lower when I realised they had completely butchered the story. It was rubbish.
    theteal wrote: »
    Don't do it, its shocking...i'd say more but you're still gonna watch it and I don't want to ruin the utter shockingness of it

Hee hee. True. Prepare to be shocked but not in a good way!

theteal wrote: »

I won't watch it, I don't watch many movies anyway!
    Debthree wrote: »
    I saw it. It's superb. The best movie to book adaptation I've ever seen. You won't be disappointed.

I totally agree! It was brutal. My jaw dropped when I realised that Clint Eastwood was actually playing the role of Terry McCaleb - a man in his mid to late 40s. It was utterly ridiculous. Then my jaw dropped lower when I realised they had completely butchered the story. It was rubbish.

Hee hee. True. Prepare to be shocked but not in a good way!

Clint Eastwood = Terry McCaleb. :confused: That just does not compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

I thought I would resurrect this thread having now read The Fifth Witness.

I prefer Bosch to Haller, and I think that Haller has never again got close to the peak achieved in The Lincoln Lawyer, but on the Amazon 5 star scale I do think this is worth 4 stars.

A really good Bosch would be something to look forward to next.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update nompere. I still haven't got my hands on The Fifth Witness. I agree though, Bosch is so much better than Haller. 4 stars is good!! I'm looking forward to reading it.

Advertisement