Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lady Gaga releases 'Born This Way'

Options
  • 12-02-2011 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

No doubt this song will be a smash, but IMO does not live up to the hype preceding it. Now I admit I am not a Lady Gaga fan in any way, but to me this sounds very disappointing for the first single. Is this what all her songs are going to sound like? These thumping glaring 'be yourself' 80s-inspired(i.e. Madonna) anthems? She seems adamant that she is full of originality, however, this song seems...not generic, but not a game changer either. It definitely does sound like 'When Love Takes Over' by David Guetta in some parts.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

It sounds like one song and one song only - Express Yourself from Madonna. Very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

It really is awful crap but of course people are idiots and so people will buy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

It's already going crazy, it has made 1,819 spins in one day in the US breaking Britney's record from just last month of 619 spins.

Also a little glance at iTunes charts around the world:
    x2_491ed5d

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

This song is awful. What was she thinking? TFM had at least 5 worthy singles on it out of 8 tracks. Can't believe she and her team hyped this piece of **** so much. Anthem of a generation? Definately not. It's funny because I thought it was guaranteed at the start of the year that Gaga would slay Britney music wise but it's been the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

nommm wrote: »
    This song is awful. What was she thinking? TFM had at least 5 worthy singles on it out of 8 tracks. Can't believe she and her team hyped this piece of **** so much. Anthem of a generation? Definately not. It's funny because I thought it was guaranteed at the start of the year that Gaga would slay Britney music wise but it's been the other way around.

Completely agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Straight in at No. 3 in the UK charts already

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Husavik

I think it's a marvellous song. I don't think it resembles any other song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭PocketWatch

Rud wrote: »
    It really is awful crap but of course people are idiots and so people will buy it

Ok thats a bit unnecessary, everyone has different musical tastes and people are not 'idiots' for buying the song.

I personally really like it, I'm not a huge Lady Gaga fan but I do like a lot of her music even though its not similar at all to what I usually like. I'm more of a Snow Patrol, Mumford & Sons, KOL person! :)

It made history by jumping directly to number 1 on the music chart of Billboard Hot 100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

I think it's incredibly disappointing, Certainly cannot compare to the likes of Poker face. She has reached such fame after her last album, whatever she released at this point was going to be a hit. It's a shame there is none of her originality in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Rud wrote: »

:rolleyes: Good man, someone who doesn't like the same music you like is obviously an idiot. Well done.

This song doesn't beat any of the singles off the first two albums, but it's certainly not bad. I reckon it's a grower; I like it more already than I did first time I heard it.

I'm still optimistic that the new albums's gonna be a cracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

This song is awful, now in fairness Ive never really been a Lady gaga fan. I never really understood the fuss to be honest her music sounds like some bad euro pop circa 1999. But even poker face and telephone sound like masterpieces compared to this song. I think its all hype and no substance and thats the reason its been no 1 everywhere and she does know how to make a catchy tune.

Without the 'crazee' image would she really be this famous and sucessful?? hmm I think not :confused:

I also think its funny shes been hyping this song so much saying it will be the song of the decade, if this is the song of the decade we dont have much to look forward to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WhoDat

It's not a good song. She's a genuinely talented singer and writer, but she believes her own hype. She's good, but she ain't that good and this song is a heap of sh*t, to be honest. There's nothing very groundbreaking or original about this. Heard it all before and I'm getting a bit sick of her whole 'be yourself' shtick too, to be honest. We get it, give over. But, of course, nobody cares at this stage. She's made her name and her money, she could churn out a record of a bag of screeching cats and it'd be a number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Shifty11

Any one know what the story is with Gaga's face in the artwork? Thought it was just editing but I seen her with the same horn things in an interview and pictures. It's really freaking me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

jesus christ what the **** is this ****?

i like her stuff i wouldnt say a fan but she has some goodish songs ..but christ .. thats a terrible song

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Not a fan tbh. I can respect that she is looking to non-mainstream sources for her body-aesthetic, but her music is like a block of concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 5dollakarl

This post is in the wrong forum. Lady gaga is not music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 olliespetcare

I think it is quite a catchy song - she has taken influence from a number of other artists - and it has hit number one in over 22 countries in the first week of release. - Jon

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

It sounds like one song and one song only - Express Yourself from Madonna. Very disappointing

You're spot on! When I first heard it, on the Grammys I think, the Madonna song from 1989's Like a Prayer album, Express Yourself, came to mind immediately, it's a rip-off in fact and "Lady" GaGa (even her name is unoriginal, taken from a 1984 Queen hit Radio GaGa!) should be taken to the cleaners for plagiarism by Madonna.

She said she wrote it with another 80s icon, Whitney Heuston, in mind...no it was Madonna she had in mind!

The problem these days, and its why the likes of GaGa are doing so well, is that there are a lot less pop music icons around now than there were in the 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

The song and the video , in my opinion, are excellent. Yes, it clearly draws heavily on 'Express Yourself' by Madonna. But as a famous artist once said, it's a poor student who doesn't improve on his teacher, and she seriously has. Perhaps watching the video at the same time adds to the power, but undoubtedly with this artist visuals are a huge part of her draw.
    Some will say it's image before substance. Personally I am unashamed to say I am a sucker for image, I think it constitutes a huge part of everything and should be embraced, but obviously not OVER substance.
    Finally, it will definitely be song of the decade for some people. The gay community worldwide will absolutely love this song and take it to their hearts as it expresses something we try to explain sometimes to people who don't geddit ( whilst providing a well-cool soundtrack and dance motif LOL ). BTW, in saying this I don't mean to sound in anyway hard done by/put upon/opressed/moaning ;)
    So yeah, massive thumbs up from me, even though my normal taste in music is Pavement, Sebadoh, Pixies and other defunkt bands :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jollygreengiant

when i first heard it i didnt think it was any good but its grown on me. starting to like it more and more whenever i hear it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Pokerface, Bad Romance and Just Dance really grew on me, when you include the videos they are really masterpieces.

But Paparazzi, Alejandro and now this, are just plain crap.... and I know that this won't grow on me. The video of this is also complete pants, as with Alejandro.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

The problem with songs that "grow on you" is that you have to cut them off at some stage.

Gaga has set herself the task of recycling 80s pop and it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The entire act reminds of the type of thing they had on eurotrash in the mid to late 90s.

She hasn't got an original idea in her head.

Advertisement