Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours studying for LC?

Options
  • 11-02-2011 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Is 20 hours a week enough to be studying for the leaving cert? How much is everyone else doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Pointless...

There's absolutely no point in comparing hours with people. Some people can get by with doing very few hours of study and others may need to study 24/7 to get what they want. There's no set amount of hours that you should study.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

I get where Becca is coming from, but you are genuinely wasting energy comparing hours of study with people. It's like going through what other people did in a test after the test. It won't change anything and even though it initially does feel reassuring, in the long run you are investing huge amounts of energy into stressing. You don't need the stress at this point in the year. Chill. Do what YOU need to do to feel able to do the exams to YOUR standard, and feck everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭alwayswright

Keep in mind that its 'quality, not quantity'. Some people can get done in ten minutes what takes another a full hour. The same hold true for essays, just because its 7 pages long, doesn't necessarily mean that its A1 standard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

What's more important is what you get through, and how well you get through it... It's easy to forget that, but don't! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

Hours is not a great indicator of the quality study. Your 20 hours could be my 5 hours, or my 30 hours. Everyone is different. One could be fluent in French and spend 20 minutes studying it whereas another person could spend hours. And so on. It's trivial to compare "hours" of study with others.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

What everyone else says is true, it's pointless the amount of study you do really depends on how well you want to do. But one thing I always found last year when I did mine I always came home did a bit of study and thought 'I've done enough I'll watch TV for the rest of the night', but truthfully, I could have done more. The point is unless your either really tired or preoccupied with something else, you should be studying. You should leave yourself at least 2 hours a day for 'me time' thats enough time to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Not nearly enough. A minimum of 437 hrs per week is required for a D3 average, 2422 hrs for A1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Not nearly enough. A minimum of 437 hrs per week is required for a D3 average, 2422 hrs for A1s.

Was that meant to be funny or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

NotExactly wrote: »
    Was that meant to be funny or something?
    Nah, the sneaky fecker is trying to mislead people in to a false sense of security. You'd need almost double the amount of time he said in order to get even near a pass let alone an A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Nah, the sneaky fecker is trying to mislead people in to a false sense of security. You'd need almost double the amount of time he said in order to get even near a pass let alone an A1.

Shhhh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement