Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sa Calobra, Majorca

Options
  • 11-02-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I'm going to Majorca in June with my brother and a mate for a week of cycling with the, possibly foolhardy, intension of climbing Sa Calobra as the main objective.
    Has anyone on here ever climbed it? All advice most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

yea climbed it last October and put it this way you`d be mad not to - it`s pretty spectacular. From what i remember it`s about 9km of climb literally from the sea at average 7%. Surface is excellent in general and gradient pretty constant so you get into a steady groove. I used 39-23 just about all the way but use what ever is comfortable at the start and keep it steady. Make sure it`s clear and dry to get the best from it. Have loads more info on trips/ rides you could do. Welcome to PM me if yea want any other details.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DonVincenzo

Climbed it in Oct 2009. Rented a decent Italian Carbon bike from the bike shop in Puerto Pollensa (http://www.procyclehire.com/ - the dude who runs it is Bruce) - €80 - €100 in total for 4 days I think.

Climbed Sa Colabra one of the days - great descent & fab climb. Total hairpin job & some real enjoyable kicks! You'll be fine - I think its around 8 or 9kms. Just find yer tempo & you'll get up in no time.

However - beware the famous Majorcan thunder/lightening storms. When we came over the top of the Sa Colabra climb & were looking forward to a nice spin home - suddenly a bolt of lightening came from nowhere & set a tree on fire around 50 yards from us!! tWas the most insane cycle home ever - I think we did around 40kms in the most torrential rain I've ever cycled in, coupled with the odd bolt of lightening thrown in to keep it interesting. Even on a good day, pack yer rain jacket & carry a waterproof pouch for yer phone etc...

Enjoy
    DV

• Registered Users Posts: 35 clashextra

Thanks for the info lads,much appreciated. I'm looking forward to a week of cycling in the sun more than anything else and it also lands perfectly as final training for the Wicklow. Never climbed a switchback so I think I'll stick to the trusty compact; fair play to you Docman for using standard.
    I'll let you know how we get on and enjoy your cycling.

Advertisement