Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Child Tickets

Options
  • 11-02-2011 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am 17 and I am now buying Student tickets instead of Child tickets. Which is nearly twice the price!!! Now I think it is ludicrous, why is the child age cut off off at 15? My financial situation have not changed, I dont have a job, I am still relying on my parents. According to the government I am still a child, if I do get a job (which I cant because I am still in school and dont have time as it is) I would be getting a reduced rate because I am not over 18 and I cant vote because I am not an adult according to the government, but according to Irish Rail, a government owned company says I am an adult. So why do I have to pay €1 off the adult price which is twice the child price.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

weh weh weh....

suck it up. has to go up at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

weh weh weh....

suck it up. has to go up at some point.

I am under 18 still, I dont have a job, my situation has not changed just because I turned 16. According to the gov I am still a child. WTF

I am under 18 still, I dont have a job, my situation has not changed just because I turned 16. According to the gov I am still a child. WTF

Ah! well why didn't you say the first time

oh wait...

edit:
    Hi, I am 17 and I am now buying Student tickets instead of Child tickets.
    my situation has not changed just because I turned 16. According to the gov I am still a child. WTF

am, what age are you? make up your mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Life isn't always fair; sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail....

..if it was me I'd buy the cheaper fair and chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

These Celtic tiger kids, still lookin for an easy ride... on a train

• Advertisement

oh wait...

edit:

I am 17 now, turned 16 last year. The child ticket is valid for up to 15 years of age. When I said 16 I was referring to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,996 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I am 17 now, turned 16 last year. The child ticket is valid for up to 15 years of age. When I said 16 I was referring to last year.

Didn't you read the small-print, where it states that they are a bunch of state-sponsored robbing bastards, and can charge whatever they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

oh wait...

edit:

You having trouble with the math stupid?
    He/she is 17 - seems obvious to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Irish Rail are terribly overpriced unless you happen to get a sweet deal in advance online.

but thats another story...

KM88 wrote: »
    You having trouble with the math stupid?
    He/she is 17 - seems obvious to me.

No. If you read back over what she said, you'll see that she didn't explain it.
    Irish Rail are terribly overpriced unless you happen to get a sweet deal in advance online.

but thats another story...

yeah there are some good deals online. generally have to book it far enough in advance though. and some lines it's not worth bothering with.

• Advertisement

yeah there are some good deals online. generally have to book it far enough in advance though. and some lines it's not worth bothering with.

I am 17 now, but I was talking about a few months ago as well when I was 16. I am a he by the way.

I will email them and see what deals they can do me, because I have to go to Galway every Saturday for the next 2 months because of a school project.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

Agreed, she didn't spell it out but she did give enough info for competent students (or ex-students) to know she is under 18 and older than 16 - ergo, she is 17 - as I said, simples!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,168 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

OP has a fair point.

If you're prepared to use the retort "suck it up" every time someone had a gripe with the government or a state sponsored body, why the bloody hell do you expect organisations to change or improve? No wonder Ireland is in a bloody mess.

Want me to pass the lube?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Actually, child and schoolchild fares on Irish Rail are severely, possibly even inappropriately discounted.

The weekly school child fare from Balbriggan, north county Dublin to Kilcoole, Co. Wicklow is about 5 euro, about hte same as an adult single ticket.

Advertisement