Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Behavioural Problems

Options
  • 11-02-2011 8:35pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭

About 3 years ago, one of my dogs started marking his territory in the house. Anything new that came in and was left in the hallway he'd mark. This was usually bags of potatoes, boxes, shopping bags etc he didn't do it often maybe once every couple of weeks, if even. Until recently, that was all he was doing.

Now, he just randomly urinates in the hall and kitchen as it takes his fancy. Still on bags or boxes, up against the bin and then on the same spot in the hall. He does this even when he's just been outside or if the door is wide open. Then will have the ''aww crap I'm in trouble now'' look on his face. Sometimes it happens over night, yet if he was in a bedroom all night he wouldn't do this. So, he knows this is wrong and that he'll get into trouble for it, he seemingly doesn't 'need' to do go when he does it and there doesn't seem to be a pattern. Yesterday, for example there were 3 puddles and there'd often be two or three.

Anyone know if there could be any explanation for this behaviour? I mean, it's not that big of a problem, but it would be nice to get him to stop or to bring him to the vet if there is a possibility that there is something wrong. Does anyone think that maybe it's behavioural?

There hasn't been any significant change that I could think of that would have made him start doing this. I have 3 dogs - two bitches and him. When this all started to get worse. I have spotted him doing it, or, he'd be the only one of the three that had been in the hall or kitchen between when there was nothing there and when there was, which is how I know that it's him. He's still fairly young, he's a mongrel(jack russell cross) and is 9 this month.

P.s: Had no idea what to title this thread! :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Is your dog neutered?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is your dog neutered?

Yeah, been neutered since he was a pup.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It sounds like he's marking and it became a habit before he was neutered as you didn't catch him doing it so he has just kept doing it. You will need to train him out of it if this is the case but as you say it has increased recently I think I would bring him to the vet to be on the safe side.

Advertisement