Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Maynooth next year

Options
  • 11-02-2011 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hey just looking for a bit of advice!
    I'm in first year in Maynooth at the moment and I really want to move up there next year. Does anyone know when is a good time to look for housing? I dont want to look too early as it's for next year but I can't afford high rent prices so I want to be on the ball with it! I also amn't too sure if I can get a group of people that I know to move out so how do people usually find people to move in with? Is it done through the college or just on Daft.ie or something like that? Sorry for rambling I'm just looking for as much info as possible :) Oh and I don't want to live on-campus I'd rather live in a house with a group of people!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭manna

I recommend checking out http://residence.nuim.ie/prospective_students.shtml

Usually a housing list comes out in April of each year, about a week after the list of people who got campus places comes out. Keep an eye out for that. You'll have to be fast if you're looking for somewhere reasonable cheap, as they go pretty fast. Some landlords rent on a room basis, others on by the house. If it's by room, it's usually the landlord who decides who moves in. If it's for a house, it's a good plan to ask your friends (the ones you'd actually like to live with) about living together beforehand, so when the list comes out you have an idea what size place to look for.

That's my experience anyways. It's worth seeing what's available on Daft and websites like that, but be warned! They are usually looking for people to sign 12 month leases, and you may not want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

I'm a first year and I shall impart some of my knowledge. Can't really help re finding people to live with as I got a house with friends from school.
    1. Negotiate the rent and negotiate hard! Even if you can get it down by €10 it will make a difference.
    2. Take your time while viewing the house and ask loads of questions!
    3. I'd suggest to re consider living off campus for first year. It's the one regret I have as it is a quicker way to develop a group of friends. Also, there is a great buzz on campus and it is so close to college, which leads to my next point.
    4. If getting a house off campus seriously think about the distance, this may seem trivial when looking at houses but it makes a difference. 9am lectures on a Tuesday morning are impossible to attend if you have a 20minute walk ahead of you and it's lashing rain.
    5. Get a single room!! I share a room with my best friend and we haven't fought yet but there is certain situations when a single room is needed! Don't need to expand on this point but it is college after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Kaaatelyn

Thanks for all the advice! I would like to live on-campus but I really don't think I could afford it so I think I'll have to stick looking for houses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cathaldonnelly

Don't impulsively make a deal because you think you are running out of options. Landlords prey on perceived desperation. There are always houses out there. Don't stick by the housing list either, anyone can get on that.
    You should just discuss the possibility of moving in with some friends. Don't go moving into a 7 person house however you're likely to get ripped off.
    The most important thing is to take no s**t! As landlords sometimes view 1st years as easy targets. I know i was one of them :)

Take a look at this website
    http://public.prtb.ie/

Familiarise yourself with the obligations and rights of both tenants and landlords. If your not sure about them email me or something ill dig them up for you :D Im a third year and have been ripped off once or twice, so i'm just a tad bitter about it :)
    Message me if you want my email :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

Don't go moving into a 7 person house however you're likely to get ripped off.

RIP House Awesome, RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Kaaatelyn wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice! I would like to live on-campus but I really don't think I could afford it so I think I'll have to stick looking for houses!

I went to Maynooth for 7 years - lived there for 6. Without doubt I would not recommend living on campus. Finding a room.house is a far better way to get to know people and lets face it, MAynooth is all about the house parties.

Just my 2 cents having lived in most estates there are some point or another.

* - Never live on Parsons street.

Advertisement