Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyonce to headline Glastonbury

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jesus... they better announce some serious acts to counterbalance that shite or ebay is going to be flooded with tickets.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

She's no less pop than u2 stevie wonder or jayz. Nothing to see hear.

/Moved to Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Christ almighty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Brilliant live performer by all accounts...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

lordgoat wrote: »
    She's no less pop than u2 stevie wonder or jayz. Nothing to see hear.

/Moved to Music.

As much as I dislike U2 I will give them credit for writing...compositionally elegant songs and introducing something new to the table of rock, the Edge guitar sound being one, whether one likes it or not, it was distinctive. Also the pop era stuff was quite interesting for an established rock act, so credit where its due. I don't like what they've become but headlining Glasto would be a fair if bland choice.

Now I'm saying this from a position of not generally liking hip hop or RnB so I am biased to begin with but I find that artists like Jay Z and Beyonce just rely on samples, professional teams of songwriters and the like, I don't think they're contributing anything of any discernible worth to music, they're brands in a way, not music, Beyonce even has her own perfume brand.

I'm all for a diversity of music and like to see this at any music festival but wasn't Glastonbury meant to be a rock/alternative music festival? I mean you have T in the Park for all that pop music stuff it should work both ways. Its like that time they put on a girlgroup at Download. It feels like they're foisting this music on people although they could also reason it will draw in more casual listerners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Mainstream artist at a mainstream festival, I don't see the issue.
    Edge guitar sound being one

Man, he copied a lot of that from Keith Levine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

smokedeels wrote: »
    Mainstream artist at a mainstream festival, I don't see the issue.

Man, he copied a lot of that from Keith Levine.

never knew that must check it out. Yeah I'm not surprised though, big bands can be musical thieves.

Advertisement