Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Papers/Mags

Options
  • 11-02-2011 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Heya,

I'm trying to find out what student papers/mags are in UCC and who runs them? Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
    Linda

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

Dont forget the online newspaper - www.corkstudentnews.com which is soon to go national (studentnews.ie). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

College News- www.collegenews.ie It has online versions of the express and Motley plus other news from UCC. Afaik it's the SU that run it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 daniel.ocarroll

There are also a number of society-only publications as well as an Irish language one (if it's still being put out). I know you asked about newspapers or magazines, but there's also Cork Campus Radio (CCR) if it's journalism in general that you're interested in.

Just thought you might want the contacts as well:

UCC Express. Editor: Daniel Lynch. Email: editor@uccexpress.ie
    Motley Magazine. Editor: Aisling Twomney editor@motley.ie
    CorkStudentNews.com Editor: Daniel O'Carroll (me!) editor@corkstudentnews.com.

Be aware that there's only one Motley left this year and I think only one or two issues of the Express. As a previous poster mentioned my website is going national in under a month so email me if you want an invite to the launch if you'd be interested in getting involved.

I have mobiles too but start with email I guess.

Hope that helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Settoinvisible

CorkStudentNews.com Editor: Daniel O'Carroll (me!) editor@corkstudentnews.com.
    CorkStudentNews isn't actually affiliated with UCC at all, so not sure it belongs on this list.

Motley I think is almost wrapped up for year, but fairly sure there's two more issues of the Express left.
    I saw an ad on collegenews.ie today saying they are taking applications for next year's editorial team so might be worth checking that out!

:)

• Advertisement

Settoinvisible,

I'm not sure which publication you're involved in, the Express or Motley, but there was nothing in the questioner's post to say that the publications had to be either officially UCC sponsored/endorsed ("in UCC"), and besides, I wasn't the one to suggest CSN. So I can't see how we didn't "belong" on that list, to use your language. With respect, people with your red-tape attitude to what's published/disseminated in UCC just irritate me. Fortunately as CSN's now evolving into a national website we won't have to deal with that kind of thing in UCC any more but it really bugged me while we were still running here.

As for Motley, I was talking to Aisling the last day and I think she said that there's one issue left. As for the Express I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Settoinvisible

getahead wrote: »
    Heya,

I'm trying to find out what student papers/mags are in UCC and who runs them? Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
    Linda
    Daniel, there was also nothing in the questioner's post about Cork-based-websites/blogs, I am simply answering the question too.
    Don't presume I am involved in a campus publication. I'm not. I have a blog that mentions society events on campus in UCC, does that make me worthy of this list too?

If you are allowed your view on what is deemed a "student paper/mag", then so am I.

OK, fair enough, let's not sidetrack this by arguing a pointless point, and I shouldn't have mentioned anything in the first place.

Do you mind if I ask what your blog is? Just sounds interesting.Have tried looking for a few blogs based out of UCC but never found much

Advertisement